Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the UK

Hello to you all.
    A little about my experience and what I currently do.
    I have been cooking on a Weber BBQ(Grill) for nearly 30 years, firstly a 47cm(18") and latterly 57cm(22") charcoal BBQ. I started cooking burgers and chicken legs but found the joy of a larger grate and thus 2 zones cooking. Have cooked slowly for a while but have started to do more since having the Maverick thermometer. Just in the last couple of weeks, despite the cold and wet of the UK, I have cooked beef brisket, small piece by USA standards and yesterday did an 8lb pork shoulder (Butt but not sure what type of cut you would call it in the USA) which started out at Midnight Saturday evening, was refuelled, at 08:00 and again at 12:00 and eventually came off the BBQ at 15:45 with an internal temp of 95C. It was fantastic and better than any pork I've ever had off a BBQ. Great brine colour and smoke ring too. Looking for help and inspiration especially for no or lower sugared mops/marinades/BBQ sauces as I'm diabetic.
    Used to use a chimney starter but now just start a few coals with my gas torch and then BBQ dragon does the rest.
    SlowNsear-Plus just arrived today with a Free 90-day pass for "The Pit", hence the reason I'm here and hopefully will get some good tips for using it.
    Finally I only ever really use lump wood charcoal as here in the UK we don't appear to have any charcoal briquet brands such as Kingsford, only own label products so advice on the best way to use/standardise lump wood charcoal would be great too.

Sounds like you're well on your way sir !!! Welcome from the Republic of Texas !!!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... 'hope you stick around!

Comment

rat_rabs Welcome to The Pit from the Great Lakes State of Michigan!! It's a friendly community here and I'm sure you will learn a lot. I know I have. Seems like another member from the U.K. had a source for Kingsford Original Charcoal. If you can find it most here would highly recommend it. Your Weber Kettle and Slow N' Sear were specifically designed for use with Kingsford Original.

Comment

• rat_rabs
          rat_rabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look online for it. Otherwise, perhaps I'll try briquets that are available here and see if I can get more consistent fuel length times

Welcome to the pit rat_rabs! You're gonna love the Slow 'N Sear for sure! I have done some bbq in the UK, I found briquettes in various department stores or supermarkets. You sure you can't get hold of any? I can't remember the brand, but they worked just fine.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

• rat_rabs
          rat_rabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Many thanks and I've done all that. I do have family in the states so would like to be included in the draw if that's possible? Yes briquettes are available here but of somewhat dubious quality with no recognised brand. You've used them ok then? Better than lump wood?
          Last edited by rat_rabs; January 29, 2018, 03:53 PM.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, they worked just fine. I like briquettes in the kettle with the SnS, it is soo much easier to get consistent temps when doing low 'n slow.

Cheers and welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Glad to have you aboard!

Comment

Welcome rat_rabs

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We typically call the upper shoulder a pork shoulder or Boston Butt. The shoulder and the lower part of the leg together (we call the lower leg a picnic) is usually called a pork shoulder.

Comment

• rat_rabs
                  rat_rabs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So in weight terms what do they come in at. Mine was about the biggest I could get over here?

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rat_rabs while some of the Boston Butts are 6-8 pounds, you can typically find them in the ten pound range. I am getting ready to cook a 7 pound one and have two tend pound ones in the freezer. You can sometimes fin d them smaller, but they are boneless and often tied together with netting. The picnic usually is in the 7-8 pound range.

• rat_rabs
                  rat_rabs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Think mine would be classed as a picnic then. Hell of a decent sized picnic that would be, I think! I've posted a picture further on in the post of what was left, lunch has come and gone so it's smaller now!

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome aboard rats. According to pit rules section 8 you absolutely have to show us pics of your equipment & your cooks. Eat good & most of all have fun!

Comment

• rat_rabs
                    rat_rabs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah.....got to re-read how to do this now!

Welcome from Winnipeg. We can appreciate weather problems.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! It is great to have you.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your new SnS My at.antic friend. With some decent fuel the SnS will change your life!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here