Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Caja China - "Chinese box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Caja China - "Chinese box"

My cousin in Puerto Rico posted these pics today of this contraption called la caja china, or the chinese box. Looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried one of these? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2216-2.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	446655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217-2.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	446656

I've used them before. We call them cajun microwaves down here in Louisiana. Done a few pig roasts using those. Work well. Not exactly cheap either though. Cool thing is while what's cooking inside, you can use the coals on top as a grill as well. Threw a couple cast iron griddles on the coals and cooked some breakfast.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Coon-A$$ exactly. Things been around a long time, and from what I hear work pretty dang dang good too. Always wanted one, but just never got one. I used one at a party years ago. Fun tool.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right "Cajun Microwave". A buddy of mine has one. They're great.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Like lonnie said, been around these parts for a long time. Never used one personally but they cook some mighty fine que.

If you're handy I think they're easy enough to build.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know man. Looks like some serious 2" X 2" artwork right there!

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just need to get the insulation right.

I seen Russ cook a pig in one of those on his YouTube channel "Smokey Ribs"

Comment

Friend of mine had one of these in college. His was homemade, it made some killer chicken for tailgates.

Comment

I saw this on TV this week on Andrew Zimmern’s show. It looked cool for those wanting an easier way to roast a pig! I even priced them out as I’ve always wanted to do a pig roast.

Comment

A friends parents have one. They did a pig roast this summer. Pig came out great....quick too. You don't get quite the smoky flavor that you would get it other kinds of pits because it is roasting in an enclosed metal box. But it came out juicy and cooked quickly. I would defiantly look for any kind of add ons to utilize over the open coals.

Comment

Here's the website.

Want To Roast A Whole Pig and Have No Experience? Well, we can help you. Our roasters will roast a whole pig in less than 4 hours; No Experience is necessary!

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

My son-in-law is Cuban and has one. I've been to a couple of parties where he has used it to cook a whole hog and got to say the meat was very tasty. He makes small cuts in the entire pig, then inserts whole garlic cloves, applies salt and puts it in the box on top of sliced blood oranges. Here's a couple pics from one he did last Fall.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0923171851.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	447608
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0923171852.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	447609

Comment

• Dom
                Dom commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks mighty good. I was talking to a friend recently and he found one on Craigslist for $100 with all the attachments, apparently someone who didn't know how to use it and wanted to buy a BGE.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here