Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade smokers advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade smokers advice

Just came in possession of a commercial SS fridge that I want to make into a cold/hot smoker. I am very handy and have all the tools to retrofit the unit. My intent is to make this as much automatic/no fuss as I can. My opinion is that the crux of a good smoker is in the quality, accuracy, and reliabilty of the controls , burners, and mechenisims. I need help on sourcing the best parts for the project that some of you can attest to. Preferably from one manufacturer ment to all work together rather than all piecemeal. Or other tips as well. BOBS

Fun project! Do you have any details for us? What type of fuel do you plan to use for example?

Comment

As Henrik said details on fuel source. Cant wait to see what you have going on. If its pellets I just used a Savannah Stoker for a custom modded smoker and it works with many types of hopper assemblies and is totally adjustable to meet your pits requirement. see my recent review https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...stomer-support

Comment

It seems to me that you will need to go with:

charcoal
        pellets
        gas
        electric

My preference would be charcoal with a PID (temp controller). Pellets would give you close to the same amount of smoke flavor. Both gas and electric would require adding some type of wood or charcoal to get a smokey flavor, and still might not give enough smokiness, and you will need a way to get the wood or charcoal close to the heat although there are ways to use a smoke attachment that you light to provide the flavor.

We need more info.

Comment

Pics please

Comment

My preference would be something like Powersmoke_80 did with his Bandera...put a pellet feed system in and set/forget it. However, there are other options based on your fuel source as has been said. I think the most common mod I've seen on a refrigerator is a charcoal basket...a blower of some sort would provide some automation for that option.

Comment

Welcome BobS

Comment

Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun! It only took you 2 1/2 yrs to post. Cool.

Comment

Sound like a great build in the works.

Comment

Welcome, Good luck with that build!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the imput. That was quick. Looks like I'm in the right place. I should mention I am in this as a joint venture with a buddy and he has possesion of the unit so I'll send pictures when I get them. He's still a working stiff and I'm retired recently so I can converse and pass on the info. We appreciate the tips and enthusiasm and sage advice.
                      The unit is well insulted and interior is 50 cu ft. We were looking at the Bradley biscuit smoke generater as an external smoke source.
                      We'll look at the pellet styles as Kmhfive and Powersmoke 80 have suggested. We want to make this the least hands on we can so charcoal is not an option. We have a guy who has used one on a similar size and type and says it gives out plenty of smoke and for a long time. Anyone have experience with this unit? We are shopping now for a heat source. Our thought at first is we set up the smoke source and some venting and determine our internal temp, as is, to see if we are around 90 to 120 deg for Cold smoke. That may give us a clue on just what type of an internal heat source we need for that size unit to get to 300-350 deg max for Hot smoking. Don't think we need temps above that as 98% of smoking is long slow temps. We are thinking electric or gas with quality temp contorls with an integrated T-stat. So any tips or sources on this would be great along with pros and cons. I'm hoping we don't have to go to 220v but may need to on that size unit. Doable but prefer 110v or gas. I think heat and smoke deflecters will be a need and added once we see hoiw the thing goes step by step. Its -5 deg here in Minnesota so projects like this are the usual for us up here. Thats why the hands free style is desired. What little summer we get leaves more time for other fun stuff. Like fishing and hunting to fill the damn thing up. Thanks, BobS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here