Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressing as I persevere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressing as I persevere

Do you recall the initial excitement, enthusiasm, anticipation of your delve into the world of smoking? That is where I am at and discern from this community that, that same passion never dies.
    Smoker and cook test (4th) yesterday went something like this.
    To cook:
    3 pound topside beef- for brother -smoked roast beef for lunch sandwiches
    2 pound loin rib (don’t think it was baby back) - for me
    2.5 pound pork belly (bone in) – for father - says he never had pork belly before
    3 pound chicken – for wife and daughter and leftovers for today
    The homebuilt smoker’s participation was cooperative and every use means a better understanding is achieved.
    Oven temp at 225F and in went the ribs and pork belly. I left the skin on (scored) and 3 hour dry brine (no remarks column). The ribs also 3 hour dry brine then covered with MMD. I pulled the pork belly after 3 hours. The int. temp was 170F.
    In went the topside dry brine for 20 hours and a cracked black pepper rub. On the 2nd internal temp reading the beef was 143F and removed. I noticed the water had dried up and the ribs were dry looking and did not crack. I added water in a hope that the moisture might revive them and brushed on some Meatheads BBQ sauce (BBQ sauce now used on all kinds of stuff, it’s quite scary). Ribs in for another 20 minutes before removing, that must have dried them out further.
    Cranked up the oven temp for chicken that had dry brine for 2 hours and rubbed with shop bought BBQ spice (must make more MMD). At 270F in went the bird and the soft pork belly skin while I coaxed the smoker to 325F. The bird came out after 70 minutes - breast 160F and thigh 170F.
    Food taste crit:
    Beef - excellent even though it is a very lean cut it was not that dry (my brother has since asked when he can bring more meat)
    Pork Belly – dry bland tasting with a bit of smoke flavour on the underside. My dad said he enjoyed, but then at 80 years I wonder how functional the taste buds are. The wife insisted I pan fry her taster further because she didn’t think they were cooked. Sinfully everything must be cremated for her. The skin crisped up wonderfully during the bird cook.
    Ribs – Dry but tasty. My first rib cook was so tender and tasty compared. The wife loved them (wonder why) and suggested more BBQ sauce needed.
    Chicken – Moistier but not as tasty as Fridays cook with MMD (reminder - must make more MMD)
    Conclusion:
    Can’t wait for my next cook (today?). I too will become a pedantic purist with time.
    Some pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121707.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	418989Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_160825.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	418990Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_162523.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	418991Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_173800.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	418992

My view while lying on the trailer floor to learn and understand more, by looking into the fuel chamber and looking up to the thermometer.

Name:	20171203_150029.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	418993 Vent in the hatch door of fuel chamber.

Name:	20171203_145944.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	418994 With hatch door open. Water and wood pan above flame.

Name:	20171203_144206.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	418995 Looking up at the Thermometer in door.

Those all look good & tasty.
    Dave

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks some look better than the taste

Thanks for the pictures! I really enjoy your learning process. A little more each time. Keep it up!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Being part of this site as a learning tool is worth varsity fees .

Very nice write up.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron greatly appreciated.

Looks good

Comment

Pedantic purity aside, & not knowing your cooker, me thinks it may need a little spritzing/misting/basting added to the affair to avoid the tendency for the dryness thing. I am probably the last person to listen to & if visual were a test, everything looks mighty fine. As far as the wifey thing, we had a lifetime of eating cardboard chicken. Thought it was normal. Until I learned how to cook it from America’s Test Kitchen, Steve Raichlen & then the chicken graduate course here at Amazing Ribs. Mebbee your wife has to be taught what what good eatin is about. Get the crispy skin but have the moist meat of the chix and let her roll. Hope this has been some help.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I think is is a good point FireMan. She may need to have some really good food to adjust her thinking that it has to be cooked to well done. I think a lot people are afraid that if it ain't cremated you'll get sick from it. Perhaps showing her the temperature charts will help her understand. With that said we also respect her right and taste buds to enjoy her food anyway she wants!

FireMan Thanks for the encouragement and guidance. I will give the Spritzing thing a try in cooks to come. Visually good but taste improvement needed. My first rib cook was near perfect even if I say so. I've tried and tried again with the wife and don't think I will ever succeed, her bad not mine.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I Should have read this first before commenting on Fireman's post. 😀😀

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Mudkat I will keep trying but bar force feed I don't think its going to happen but must add she also said she wasn't keen on smoked foods but seems to be a convert.

It's like playing a musical instrument. Except the instrument is a combination of cooker and food!

Comment

off topic, but where are you located?

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Port Elizabeth on the southern tip of South Africa.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here