Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole NY Strip Loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole NY Strip Loin

Picked up a whole NY strip loin the other day. 10 lbs at $3.69/lb for USDA choice from a local butcher. Im planning on cooking it whole rather than cutting steaks. I was thinking about doing it like a rib roast. Any other suggetions?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171119_204032.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	412840 ​​​​​​

I carve into steaks. Hard to see the marbling, but choice should make a nice roast! Bring it up slow to about 110-115 then sear over high heat? Serve with a bearnaise sauce or similar.

Comment

Dry age this beast for 45 days using a Uami bag, then carve into steaks. Wonderful! Can't seem to get the search function to pull up some ole threads of mine, but this is what I do.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pulling a prime loin that I cut in half out in about 5 minutes to make room for the turkey. Only 36 days though. Good thing its brother is in the freezer waiting for after Thanksgiving! Steak tonight, I think!

I did an 8 pound half New York strip loin on my Weber Kettle recently. Didn’t have my Slow N Sear yet so used the snake method with charcoal and apple wood chunks. Just did kosher salt and course ground pepper for a dry brine for a few hours, no aging. Smoked at 225 until it hit 130 internal temp and pulled it. Very good. Came out very much as I hoped - like prime rib. The boys and me liked it medium rare, girls wanted it more done so I threw their slices in a cast iron skillet on the gas range in the house for a couple of minutes per side and everyone was happy.

Suggestion - catch the drippings in a pan and use with some beef stock or bullion to make a gravy/au jous.

I’ve got another one in the deep freeze and the family wants me to do it the same way. Only difference is I will use my SnS this time, as it arrived this week. As did my Smoke. I gotta stop buying toys for the grill soon..... 😀

Comment

Found a picture on my phone - this is right before I pulled it off the kettle. I didn’t do a sear, just pulled it after the smoke, which I believe took about 4 hours or so to go from 39F to 130F.

Name:	0205AEA7-2CF8-447C-B52B-1E5075D4DFD7.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	412934

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          The best part was that everyone in the family liked it enough to ask for a repeat performance!

FYI you got a lot better price than I got - Kroger’s Sale price was $5.99 a pound! And yours looks to have a good bit less fat. I trimmed some and cooked with the fat side up. It really did not render much fat cooking to 130F for the pull temp, not like a Boston butt that you pull at much higher temps.

Comment

OK, here we go. Had some kind of problem synch-ing Dropbox. The 36 day aged prime loin roast:

Name:	20171120_152800.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	413669Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_150020.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	413670Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_152730.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	413671

Comment

• JTpellets
            JTpellets commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look really good. Makes me want to buy a fridge for dry aging.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            No dedicated fridge needed brother! Just your regular fridge and the Umai dry aging bag. Works perfect every time.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Right, just a matter of having some room. Don't need a dedicated appliance. The Umai bags are awesome.

WHOLY COW!! Man you did good! If I haden't lost my dry aging fridge in the flood I would be right here with ya! I can't WAIT to do another.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            You've been an inspiration! And the deal was so good ($8.99 a lb with $25 off the package on top of it) that I have a whole 'nother one sitting in the freezer waiting for post-holiday fridge space. 45 days for that one!

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, nothing like an aged strip loin! You making me want to go buy some meat!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here