Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old timer newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old timer newbie

Hey Ya'll - My name is Bob and I've been Q'in my entire life and I'm 68 years old. Still have memories of Grandpa's smoke house on the farm, when the family would get together in the Fall to butcher 7 or 8 hogs in one day. Used Hickory wood and hung the bacons and hams for days. Grandma would make headcheese and after rendering - kettle corn ! Anybody remember shaving scaulded hogs with the bell shavers? That was my job, along with about 20 cousins. Back in the 80's, had a friend who had a home made motorized spit, whole-hog-stick-burner BBQ. We would take it around to benefits and weddings and spend 10 - 12 hours cookin for free. Called the outfit "Port-A-Pig", my friend was 'Head Hog' and I was the 'Spit Crew'. Ended up getting into the competition circuit for a few years, but never won much and had a great time, and learned a lot.
    Now days I'm retired, and I'm a disabled Viet Nam veteran who volunteers as pitmaster with my local VFW Post. The Post raises money to help Vets in need, by feeding the volunteers at the Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway in Monterey California. We get paid by the non-profit group that runs the track to feed the hundreds of volunteers that it takes to put on a race. Last year the Post bought a 3-axle, 24' long stick burner smoker from the Brinkman company in Louisiana. Its got two propane burners on the front, with 4- 3' smoking ovens and a fire box with grill on the back.
    It took a few times to get it seasoned and 'tuned-up' and still have problems keeping the two cold ovens up to temp.
    They got gas assist burners, but the flames go out every time you close the doors due to the draw of the flue. Thinkin about just putting a tray of charcoal in the two cold ovens just to keep em cooking at temp. We do mostly ribs, and shoulders, but thanks to Meathead, we did turkeys and they were a hit. 10 spatchcocked birds with herbed oil. Thanks Meathead - I owe you one.

Welcome Bob... great story. Psst... you are not that old, there are a bunch of us here.

Comment

Right on Bob, welcome! A big thank you for your service as a vet and to those in need. Hello from the Lowcountry of SC!

Comment

Hello Bob, Thats a nice pit! Glad to have you aboard.

Comment

Welcome! We'd love to see pictures of that pit (and Huskee will be along soon to tell you to fill out your signature, etc.)

Comment

Thanks for your service to our country and to those who still need help. Sounds like your doing some great work!! That pit is awesome. Id like to hear/see more of it. Looking forward to your post and pictures. Welcome to The Pit!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome Bob! That there is a BIG smoker. Sounds like you're having a blast! The fun of it all is figuring out what little techniques work, I think you're on the right track.

Oh and by the way The Burn is right, since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Welcome Bob! We're glad you're here. That is one monster Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here