Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Soggy Vancouver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From Soggy Vancouver!

Hi Guys! I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The temperature here is mild (definitely not the frozen North) but we average about 168 days of rainfall a year (i.e. nearly 6 months of the year it rains). Having lived 50 of my 56 years here I can guarantee that it feels even rainier than that.

I have a life long love of eating and nearly as long a history of cooking, or at least wanting to cook. In Grade 3, I asked for an Easy-Bake Oven for Christmas because I figured that I wouldn't have to wait for my Mom to bake stuff. I think my Dad bought me a toy gun or a tank or something.

I especially love Indian food and BBQ. I grind my spices fresh, my favourite cooking mag is Cook's Illustrated, I have a GE induction range inside and a Crown Verity MCB-36 gas grill (made in Canada) and a Weber Smoky Mountain bullet smoker.

I have always observed that men and dogs love smoked meat. My daughter too, as it turns out. The Weber smoker is a great device but not particularly well suited to our small urban backyards (where my neighbours hang their laundry outside to dry as I am lighting coals) and rainy weather. Rain on a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker is the end of the show unless it is under shelter which is not feasible in my limited backyard space.

I come to this site to seek knowledge and especially to find a smoking option that will not be thwarted by our rainy climate. I would like to smoke even in the autumn and spring.

Pellet smokers look like the answer (maybe, I think...). I have a 20 amp line outside with a GFCI. The Camp Chef DLX looks interesting and, at the higher end, the MAK smokers look cool. I do put up a temporary storage tent in winter to protect my grills from the worst of the rain but I am uncertain that the Camp Chef is weather resistant enough. The MAK smokers definitely look like they can take the condensation and damp etc. but I wonder about their complicated looking FlameZone and FlameZone covers that seem to present a myriad of seams and crevices to collect gunk and that, as a result, may be a nightmare to clean.

Guys and gals, I look forward to your advice!

Welcome MarKoz! Lotsa folks around here use their bullets and other cookers in the frigid cold, we just learn to adapt. That usually means running more coals and rebooting as needed. Some clever folks have built some wind breaks and use awnings and so forth to keep the rain off them. Rain spells trouble for any cooker. Can't help you on the neighbors hanging laundry though! I hope they like the gentle smell of suburban BBQ!

A pellet cooker is definitely more SIFI (set it and forget it), and since they have a thermostat they'll be much easier to operate in inclement weather. They'll just really use the pellets when it gets cooler or rainy so you have to be on top of the pellet bin & keeping it filled.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here