Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who doesn't have time for a new hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who doesn't have time for a new hobby?

Well, lets see....
    There was scuba diving, skeet shooting, beer making, moonshining, skiing, 22 reactive target shooting, AR target shooting, grilling, and furniture making.
    Some I still do, some I don't. Some I do well, some I don't.

But hey, here's something interesting... instead of just using the weber kettle to add some smokey flavor to grilled food, what if I did some long/slow action on hunks of animal flesh? Sounds fun.... A few runs with chicken thighs on the weber kettle (and about a whole roll of foil to try to turn it into a smoker) went well, so I've got the fever.
    "Honey, I bought a smoker and I'm gonna learn how to make barbecue, OK?"
    Lesson 6 to the newly married: forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission.

I'm a complete novice to this style of cooking but one of my friends fed me some brisket and chicken thighs he made on this Humphrey's battle box he had in his backyard and it was great. After a few months of back and forth I pulled the trigger last week. My smoker is in route as of today.

I've read and done my forum home work (I think) so now I'm soaking everything else up.
    Thanks for helping me start the learning curve.

Huntington Beach welcomes you and the five.

Comment

Welcome from KC, MO. What smoker did you order?

Comment

• dad2five
        dad2five commented
        Editing a comment
        Humphrey's "pint" attached to a 'battle wagon' to make it easier to get it on/off of my trailer. Its getting loaded on an 18-wheeler in Maine right now.
        First steps - I'm figuring a 3-5 hour run empty to burn off any production residue but I'm sure I'll find some advice on initial runs in new smoker if I keep looking.

Love your username and welcome to the pit from Florida! Lesson 7 to the newly married - use lesson 6 too often and you'll be learning what words like "retainer" mean.

Comment

• dad2five
        dad2five commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I was thinking: Lesson 7 to the newly married, use lesson 6 sparingly.

Welcome aboard.
      There is definitely a learning curve to this art. But once you start getting the hang of it you’ be da man of da house. And please ask questions when you’re stumped. That’s why everyone is here. To ask,to learn and to help.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Pictures of your new smoker are much appreciated! As you found out, the kettle is an excellent smoker, too. Don’t forget that you will get a lot of use out of good thermometers!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome, stay focused and never, I mean never, give in to the dark side

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome dad2five

Comment

Welcome! Serial obsession is also my lifestyle! And my son's. Maybe we're related. ;-)

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sooo... I guess we're related too EdF. Serial Obsession is my passion!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brothers! I just love to learn new stuff.

Welcome to the Pit dad2five

Comment

"Serial obsession." Ha! I resemble that remark.

Comment

Wait til MCS bites ya, there’s where the real learning curve is & it just started with your smoker. Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun!
                      We are here to help with all further acquisitions to feed MCS. We’ve got the stories, alibis, affidavits, & General tall tales to get ya out of anything, almost.

Comment

Dude, what a great list of hobbies! I'm guessing one could spend a small fortune on each of them with MCS...

Have fun learning to smoke more and better - you are in a great place to do that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here