Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Upstate NY

Greetings everyone. Like everyone else on here, I've been grilling for years. Mostly on a gas grill. I do about 95% of the cooking in my house. I leave the baking (breads, cakes, brownies etc) to my wife. Not that I don't know how, but she considers it her domain, lol. This year we bought a camper and a seasonal site for the first time, as we love camping and being out in the woods. I've mostly used gas for the convenience and quickness of it. But I figured when I'm at camp, I have plenty of time to get a charcoal grill ready. In the past when using charcoal, I would either buy Match Light, or regular charcoal and lighter fluid. Having to wait for the smell of the lighter fluid just took too long. So I bought a Jumbo Joe to bring up to camp, 2 bags of Kingsford Blue, and a bottle of lighter fluid. I really wanted to cook some ribs since I had so much time at camp to do that. So I Googled "ribs" and came across this amazing site! Here I discovered the joy and wonder of the charcoal chimney! Lol. So I bought one, and needless to say, the only thing I used the lighter fluid for was starting the campfire at night . Then a sweet older lady at camp gave me a free Brinkmann ECB bullet smoker. I researched it online and discovered all the flaws and made most of the mods everyone suggests. Still crappy, but semi-usable. Also bought the 2 channel Thermopro TP12 thermometer to monitor temps. Did ribs 4 times, and a brisket. Used almost a whole bag of charcoal on the brisket trying to keep the temp up on that drafty thing. I thought it came out ok for only the 3rd thing I ever smoked. The last batch of ribs I did at camp was actually on the Jumbo Joe, and they came out great. The camping season ended 10/1 so I was planning to bring the Joe home, but started checking for used kettles online. Found a Performer in mint shape for $100 so I jumped on it. Getting ready today to throw 2 racks on for dinner. I just want to thank you for this site, and figured the info I can glean from everyone here far outweighs the cost of membership. I'm done with this long winded intro now, lol.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
    Lookin' forward to learnin' along with, an' from ya!
    Smoke on!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard from down state NY.

Comment

• sdenue57
        sdenue57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Whereabouts down state?

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        sdenue57 Rockland County right on the Jersey border by Mahwah

Welcome From Clay, NY. ( North of Liverpool, South of Phoenix). You are gonna love that performer, and you got a great price. Lots of info on here about Kettles and maintaining temp. Have Fun!

Comment

• sdenue57
        sdenue57 commented
        Editing a comment
        I lived in and around Syracuse from the ages of 12-22. Liverpool, Westside, Northside, Palermo, Tully, Tipp Hill. We moved a lot, lol.

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        sdenue57 Born in Syracuse North Side, Raised in Liverpool. We are Just North of Moyers Corners, a lot has changed. But it is still Liverpool.

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir. What a fine deal, wow a hundred bucks! The learning never stops.

Comment

• sdenue57
        sdenue57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Yeah, and it came with a new hinged cooking grate and cover. I didn't even haggle with her, lol.

Welcome to the Pit, from upstate Virginia!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome sdenue57

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Western NY, around Rochester. Spent some time around Syracuse too.

Comment

• sdenue57
                sdenue57 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. When I go out to Rochester for training for the company I work for (Admar), I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express right next to Sticky Lips on Jefferson Rd. Good 'cue, and an impressive number of craft beers on tap! I usually order the B-29, brisket, chicken, and pulled pork. Never been disappointed, and never been able to finish it all in 1 meal, lol.

• IrondeQuer
                IrondeQuer commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool! Haven't been to that one yet. We usually head to East Rochester to Good Smoke when we go out for BBQ or sometimes to Dinosaur which is downtown. Enjoy!

Welcome and howdy from The Great State of Jefferson!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I had an old bullet smoker (Brinkmann I think?) with no settings. The only problem I had was having to add charcoal for long cooks at about the 8 hour cook. I didn't make any mods, but of course I only did overnight low and slow. I grew tired of getting up a 4am to add charcoal and water. It was a pretty good low and slow cooker. I don't know if they changed design and messed things up. My start up was a chimney of unlit charcoal and three wood chunks followed by a chimney of lit charcoal with a wood chunk on top. I added another chimney of charcoal at about the 8 hour mark.

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! I’ve camped at the Robert Moses State Park and have relations in Massena. Glad to have you here with us!

Comment

• sdenue57
                    sdenue57 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I had a great uncle that owned a campground somewhere up there on the Grass River. Been probably 40 years since I was there, not even sure if it's still there since he passed away a long time ago.

Hello, from the Indian Nation. Welcome.

Comment

• sdenue57
                    sdenue57 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which Nation? Onondaga?

Great find on the Performer and welcome aboard, from Pensacola Florida!

Comment

• sdenue57
                    sdenue57 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you sir!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here