Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from a FOB in (occupied) Northern Virginia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from a FOB in (occupied) Northern Virginia...

Good evening all,

I've learned so much from Meathead and the other articles these past few weeks that I decided this endeavor needed my humble financial support. I've got an XL Big Green Egg that I love, and that I've been experimenting with for the past nine months. (Incidentally, with $4 in firebricks one can easily create the direct/indirect zones on the BGE; I know this was one of the reviewer's drawbacks about the BGE.)

I'm looking forward to watching the seminars and learning more about the science of BBQ and grilling. I've already applied many of Meathead's lessons in my last couple of cooks, the ones I did over the Thanksgiving weekend for my family and inlaws. For Thanksgiving, I smoked a 16 pound turkey with an overnight wet brine, injection the day of the cook, and seasoning. At 250 with cherry and applewood, it took several hours but everyone said it was the best they'd had. Even though that was last Thursday, we just finished the last smoked turkey sandwich last night.

On Saturday, I smoked three racks of St Louis cut ribs from Costco, a modified 3-2-1 recipe. Dry brined overnight in the fridge (with mustard as a binder), then a coating of Killer Hog's "The BBQ Rub," pulled at three hours, wrapped in foil with brown sugar and honey, put back on for 1.5 hours, then pulled, rested a little bit, and finally coated with Rendezvous BBQ sauce for the final 15 minutes. All in all my family, toddlers, and inlaws all loved it.

Thanks to all here, and especially to Meathead and the mods for their knowledge. It doesn't seem like many here use the BGE!

All the best from (occupied) Northern Virginia,
    Chelnerul
    Attached Files

Welcome Chelnerul! Glad to have you here. Be sure to check out Meathead's "Last Meal Ribs" recipe as well as his Ultimate Smoked Turkey recipe. These will take an already awesome meal and amp it up with some simple technique tweaks! Look forward to more from you.

Comment

Thanks Huskee - I've already got them both bookmarked, as well as his Rendezvous recipe, and I've put together all the ingredients except for the Hungarian paprika, which will be arriving courtesy of Amazon Prime on Monday. Then I'll make all three. And looking damn forward to it. Also interested in supplementing the BGE with a PBC as well...

Comment

You, my friend, are on your way to BBQ excellency! There's a huge following here of PBCers, you'll learn everythign you care to know and more about mastering that PBC. Look forward to pics of your masterpieces.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Your pics are makin me hungry : )
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 7, 2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of SC!

Comment

HC - your lowcountry got me hooked on mustard BBQ sauce, thanks to Bessingers. I just ordered three bottles from Maurice's!

Comment

Welcome, beautiful country out there.

Comment

Chelnerul I also have an egg that I really love. How did you make modifications for direct/indirect cooking?

Comment

Welcome Dave! We're glad you're here. Great barbecue awaits

Comment

Hi Dave - another egger! Great to read - right now my XLBGE is pretty stock, but that's going to change soon. I purchased the ceramic platesetter for the egg (the newer ones are ridiculously called "vonveggtors" or some such silliness). It sits in the grooves of your firebox and diffuses the heat so that it goes up and around the edges. That's how you can get smoke to penetrate your meats at low and slow temps (225 or so). I bought it at the same place (ACE Hardware) that sold me my egg.

For Christmas, I asked my wife for one of Ceramic Grill Store's "Adjustable Rig" combos that contains both multiple levels for direct and indirect cooking, a drip pan, and a ceramic stone that's smaller than Big Green Egg's platesetter, which is too large to get at the lump to replace lump or add more wood. The Ceramic Grill Store version allows access to the lump.

Long answer, I know. Easy answer: BGE platesetter. Heavy, but gets the job done. If you want access to the lump to add more fuel and wood, then don't buy it and check out the offerings from the Ceramic Grill Store. The guys over on the BGE Forum swear by them. PM me if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to help in any way that I can!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here