Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Sanger, Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Sanger, Tx

Hey all! I've just started getting more serious about making BBQ instead of just eating it. This is my third go at the project. First I got an electric drum smoker from a company just outside of Houston. It served me well enough. But not quite well enough.

Next was a New Braunfels COS. It was better, and even better when I modified it with some baffles and extended the chimney down to the grilling surface. In the mountains of Colorado hardwood was hard to come by, but I found Aspen burned clean and well, much like a hardwood. It made some really nice Q. Briskets, lamb, pork and more. When we moved, it stayed behind. My feeling was I didn't want everything in the moving van to smell like smoke, and it was only a hundred bucks or so.

We moved back to Texas and a White Smokey Mountain was next. I know many folks love them, and they have made some great BBQ for lots of folks, but we never really had a good relationship, though it did produce some fine smoked turkeys for a few Thanksgiving dinners. But, what I really wanted was an offset smoker.

And now, I'm again burning wood in an OK Joe Highland Reverse Flow smoker. I'm still getting a feel for it. I've added a BBQ Guru Cyber Guru to it, and am not sure it was a good idea for a stick burner (opinions on that welcomed!). I'm eyeing some gaskets for it. It's made me happy, but not head over heels in love yet. Although the pastrami, pulled pork and a few other things have been really, really good. I want to get better control over the fire before I spend a bunch of money on a brisket.

Living near Dallas, and being a frequent visitor to Austin, I've been to the usual Texas places. Franklin, Lockhart, Pecan Lodge, Green Mesquite, and more. When I went to college in Huntsville local BBQ was a real treat.

Looking forward to learning more about BBQ!

Welcome, Mike!

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike. Whether you fall in love with your cooker or not, there is always more on the horizon. Hail MCS. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to,the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Howdy Mike, from The Great State of Jefferson!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mike.

Comment

WooHoo!!!, Welcome aboard Oklahoma Joe's Highland, an' whoever that dude was talkin'!!!
                Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                What kinda metal thickness has th' New Gen RF OKJ's got, anyhow?
                We were jus' talkin' 'bout that, in th' past few days, here?
                Got an older (2 gens prev.)OKJ Highland, with baffle/tunin' plate, an' gaskets; absolutely delighted with it, over many, many a cook...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome Mike76266

Comment

Howdy,if you got serious, you came to the right place. PLUS you live in a good place, lol.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Mike76266! It's good tro try different smokers to find the one you like. I haven't heard of anyone using a PID controller in an offset. They're more suited for briquettes where you have a steady supply of fuel, i.e. you don't have to open the fire door to add wood every 15 minutes.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Mike!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your obvious case of MCS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here