Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from South Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from South Jersey

New member here. I've been "cooking out" for years, but only recently learned about such mysteries as indirect heating, use of thermometers, different woods, and the Wisdom of Meathead! For Christmas, I replaced my 20 year old plain kettle with a Performer, and have been having a blast. Then i heard about the SNS, watched the videos, and ordered one last week. It arrived on Tuesday.

It's been a beautiful weekend, and the first cook with the new SNS on my Performer was a success--and a learning experience. We did a 4 pound pork butt, with a pan of baked beans under the meat, catching all those drippings and smoke. It went very smoothly until after about 5 hours the meat got to about 175, and then it seemed to hang there. Was it the dreaded Stall? Rookie that I am, I thought so, and fiddled with the vents and thought about going for the Crutch. BUT then I took a closer look at the coals--they were way down. I realized that I had been trying to avoid peeking at the cook all these hours ("If you looking...etc") that I had let the coals get depleted, along with the water. I replenished the coals, and the water, and things picked up from there. At almost exactly the 8 hour mark, we hit 203 degrees! Off came the meat and the beans--and they were delicious!

Thank you to all the members who posted suggestions and guidance. Looking forward to learning much more from the members of what seems to me to be about the friendliest site on the Internet! Cheers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6366.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	370259
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6370.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	370257
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harvard75; August 27, 2017, 02:26 PM.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

If you haven't already, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

This is a great place to hang out and we hope you will join us on a regular basis. Jump in on the fun!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome! From a former Jersey boy. Nice looking setup you have!
        That is something we all learn after getting the SnS. After about 4 or 5 hours you need to poke around in the coals to get the ash to fall out. Usually things go fine afterwards.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and nice pics BTW!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome! I love the copper kettle.

Comment

That is a wonderfully cooked PB. The pulled pork looks amazing.

Comment

With pics like that you'll have more friends than you can handle. Continue to have a blast. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your fine photos.

Comment

Beautiful & Welcome Harvard75

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! Nice cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here