Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Chicago (and Philadelphia)! New PBC owner checking in ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Chicago (and Philadelphia)! New PBC owner checking in ...

Hello fellow smokers and grillers! I work and spend most of my time in Chicago, but my family and main home are in suburban Philadelphia.

I would categorize myself as a "Weber Kettle Master", having used them for over 40 years to grill and smoke, using all the Weber kettle techniqes from their website, The Smokenator, and the snake charcoal method, and can turn out pretty darn good ribs, brisket, and awesome Thanksgiving turkey. I have Kettles in both Philly and Chicago, and I also have a Saber infrared gas grill in Philly for the occasional quick burger or steak, and cuz the spousal unit likes it.

I wanted to up my meat smoking capacity, though, and after much research, including the wonderful reviews here at Amazing Ribs, I just ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker with a few accessories, and I can't wait to get started with it. Capacity is really an issue, as one of my sisters in Chicago has 9 kids. So the three racks of ribs I can do on the Weber Kettle just don't cut it any more. And a 6 lb flat I did last week went in a New York Minute with no leftovers, and only part of the clan was there.

I'm really looking forward to learning the PBC, and I'm sure the Weber next to it will still get a workout making wings or pepper poppers while waiting on ribs or brisket and whatnot from the PBC. I'm betting this is an awesome community and looking forward to settling in here.

Cheers,

-John

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

This is a great place to hang out and we hope you will join us on a regular basis. Jump in on the fun!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome to the Pit ... and to the PBC community, John ...

Comment

Thanks, Spinaker! Good info.

BTW, you find your Email address on The Account tab, not the Notifications tab. Mine is good, and I've already gotten Email from you, but you may want to edit your welcome msg.

Thanks, Mbmorgan. Looking forward to settling in here!

Comment

Aaaaaand .... homework completed! I'm locked and loaded!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Benny.png
Views:	117
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	360203

Comment

Welcome JCinPA

Comment

Welcome! Good to see someone else from the Philly area on here.

Comment

JCinPA, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                Enjoy "The Pit"!
                Congrats on Your New PBC, Lot's of Happy Users in "The Pit"! 👍👍👍👍👍 Check the Posts by fzxdoc (Kathryn) She's the Queen of the PBC!
                I'm a 40+ Year Weber User! See the Pic'sfrom!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	360212Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	360213Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	457.9 KB ID:	360214Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	483.0 KB ID:	360215 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_43301.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	360219
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	360218Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	992.5 KB ID:	360217Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	1,006.7 KB ID:	360216Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	360221Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	668.2 KB ID:	360220
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	360223Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	360226Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	360225Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	360222Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	360224Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	360227
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 10, 2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Danjohnston949 , Those pics are AMAZING!

Question for you. I've never been a big gadget guy, except for getting The Smokenator (which I think is great) for my Weber. For the most part, I just follow Jaime Purviance's tips and techniques, and sometimes use the Weber coal baskets for indirect cooking. But that Vortex thingy intrigues me, and I see you use it a lot. I have not been moved to pull the trigger on it.

I'm not sold yet. What are your thoughts on it?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JCinPA, I really like the Vortex for Chicken Legs and Thighs! I can't Afford Wings! I also Reverse Sear Steaks and P-Chops with it! 👍👍👍👍👍 For Larger Cooks You Can't Beat the S 'n S & Drip & Griddle Combo! www.ABCBBQ..com, @abcbbq.Dave
                      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Oh my goodness, JCinPA , you're going to love cooking on your new PBC. My recommendations for new PBC owners is to follow Noah's instructions on the PBC website for lighting methods and cooking various meats. If, for whatever reason, consistency between cooks becomes an issue with you, then check out The Pit's PBC section, where there are some great tips and tricks.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

There are many PBC users here on the Pit who are ready at a moment's notice to answer any questions you might have. And of course Noah and Amber on the PBC hotline are awesome and incredibly responsive should you have any problems. Which you won't, I'm guessing.

Enjoy your new PBC.

P.S. Have you looked into the SnS from https://abcbarbecue.com/ for that kettle? It's pretty amazing. Just sayin'.

Kathryn

Comment

Welcome from Indiana and a fellow PBCer

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the PBC cult.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here