Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up from New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats up from New Orleans

I have boiled thousands of pounds of crawfish, hundreds of blue claw crabs, and shrimp galore. Yet, with brisket, I hit the wall. Red meat is a mystery to me. It is either cardboard dry or tough as my shoe. I'm here to learn. As an aside, I also want to learn about sour mash :-) Just inquisitive I guess.

Welcome from Northern CA. Tell us about what you are cooking and what you are using and you will have lots of help here!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

• Jolly Roger
        Jolly Roger commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Nate. I'm always looking for recipes that are from the indigenous tribes (states) of this country.

Welcome to The Pit. You have come to the right place to learn. Tell us what you cook/smoke with and we can help.

Comment

• Jolly Roger
        Jolly Roger commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook/smoke and or boil any thing big or small enough to fit into a pot or pit. And I have two 100 quart pots. :-)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        So your problem is with red meat? Tell us what you do when you smoke a brisket - someone here will be able to help Jolly Roger

Welcome to fun and learning! You've taken the greatest step to learning all the tricks. Ask questions and practice. You'll eat good food!

Comment

Dude, welcome from SW Louisiana! Isn't crawfish season grand? Brisket done right is great, too!

Comment

• Jolly Roger
          Jolly Roger commented
          Editing a comment
          It's like sports. I am looking forward to crawfish season but moving into fall it BBQ.

Hey the LA Huntington Beach welcomes you fine Sir! A buddy of mine moved there and is chef-ing with great joy in you fine, humid city.

Comment

• Jolly Roger
          Jolly Roger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Hope your buddy adjusts. Humid is an understatement.

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

• Jolly Roger
          Jolly Roger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Love your weather. I love to ski.

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for your support to our community. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
        -Spinaker

Comment

Welcome Jolly Roger

Comment

Welcome Jolly Rogers!

I had crawfish once a long time. Could not stop eating them. We had two cases between twenty people. They did not last long. Maybe an hour. They were yummy. They kinda had an old bay taste lurking in the back ground. The rest is very difficult to describe.
            Last edited by lostclusters; August 10, 2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Jolly Roger
              Jolly Roger commented
              Editing a comment
              Crawfish are a acquired taste. Some folks recipes are a test of your masculinity. I don't agree with that. I cook to my guests. If they like them mild - for the wife and kids - so be it. But I can jack them up. I am looking forward to February when they hit the market.

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I grew up,in New Orleans. Beef is pricey there, but Boston Butts are cheap. Start by learning to smoke them at 225. Expect to smoke for about 12 hours. Once you have mastered that move on yourto brisket. Stay away from Select and onlybtry choice or prime. Since I moved to Dallas where beef is cheap by comparison I have succesfully made the switch from Boston Butts to Brisket. But, I cooked a lot of Butts on a variety of cookers.

Comment

• Jolly Roger
                Jolly Roger commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I'm on a mission to learn to do brisket.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                You. good sir, have landed in exactly th' right place on this Earth, imho...

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Jolly Roger, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                Enjoy "The Pit"!
                I'll bet You'll Get Lots of Good Advice on Smok'n Red Meat, Pork and Poultry! All it Will Cost You is Some Proper "Ditch Bug", Crab and Shrimp Recipes!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	357267Click image for larger version

Views:	136
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	357269Click image for larger version

Views:	139
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	357268Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	357273Click image for larger version

Views:	140
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	357272Click image for larger version

Views:	144
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	357274Click image for larger version

Views:	144
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	357271Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	357275
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here