Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the Space Coast of Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Space Coast of Florida

Hello everyone. First things first i want to thank you all for building such a great resource for novices. A few weeks ago i began to research how to smoke bbq. Friend had recommended to me that i start with an approx 100$ electric smoker to learn the ins and outs before getting more involved. As a result of this site, before joining the pit, i discovered the 2-zone method and that smoking could be accomplished with an original weber kettle with the addition of a smoke n sear. With the addition of a good probe thermometer, it cost roughly 300$, but like most good tools, it has multiple uses.

I've done several cooks now, longest being 7 hours this past weekend (boneless pork butt). Only had two i had to trash, the rest of come out quite well. The biggest realization i have to come to thus far is i have a temperature control problem. I'm putting in a lot more effort to keep the temperature down than most, after following the instructions verbatim. Apparently, i am not supposed to be witnessing whisps of smoke escaping from the seal. The best solution appears to be using the binder clips which i will try next weekend. However, the one concern i have is the thermometer probes. Do the binder clips effectively close the gap when running the probes underneath the lead? Yes, i will try running them from the top vent if smoke still escapes. I bought the kettle brand new, and even when i close both vents, enough oxygen is still getting into the grill to keep coals running (temp does not drop). Thanks in advance for your welcomes and advice.

-Will

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning. You may have a lid that is slightly warped. Set it on a flat surface to check. You may be able to flatten it out by pushing down hard. There are other things people have tried and sometimes Weber has replaced the lid.

Comment

• wcc118
        wcc118 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sunova gun, it wasn't flat! Had approximately a 1/4in gap stretching about a foot or so circumferentially. The binder clips appeared to have enough clamping force to close this gap. This would render the probes a non-issue. Looking forward to trying again next weekend. Thanks for the advice.

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope it works out!

Welcome from Colorado, Will! I'm sure the kettle gurus that live in the Pit will be along shortly with lots of questions and even more answers ...

Comment

Welcome wcc118

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. If it's not flat, it could also be out of round. You can place a large piece of paper on a flat surface and trace around the edge. Then turn the lid 90* to see if it still lines up with the circle you just drew.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Thanks for joining!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you! If that kettle is new and you are far off I would give Weber a call. When I'm not lazy I run the probe from the bottom vents and into the chamber. I never had a lid issue until recently. I now use 5 binder clips. Piece of cake. With that SnS and the kettle you will be nailing temps in no time at all. Also remember the Coal takes a minute to settle in the zone. Are you using KBB? The other stuff I'm not familiar with as I been using KBB forever. Also people wet their wood which is no bueno and Messes with chamber temp. Check out the basics on the other side when you get a minute. You will love your kettle!

Comment

• wcc118
                  wcc118 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Binder clips and running probes thru the top vent has really helped stabilize the temperature control. Thanks. I'm curious how did you develop a seal issue over time? General usage warps the lid/base?

For the sealing issue, I use a gasket myself. It works well, and I don't have a problem with probe damage.

Comment

• wcc118
                  wcc118 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Today between running the probes through the top vent and using 4 binder clips, the temperature control has been so much better.

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you here!

I have a few things for you to check out. This will help you get around, think of it as small homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Thank you for the support! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Make sure to jump right in on the fun. This is a a great place to hang out!

-Spinaker

Comment

• wcc118
                  wcc118 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, which hence is why i introduced myself!

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

wcc118 I have no idea how I got a steel issue. I guess only so many meteorites, steers and hogs can pass through before the spherical chamber of moulton love gets a little worn out. Lucky for us some darn smart people knew what a binder clip was and came before us. I likely would have wrapped the thing in tin foil and got better exception at the same time. Pic please. Watchu cooking?

Comment

HouseHomey Boneless pork butt and rolled brisket. Got both to 203, took about 9 hours. This was my first time with the binder clips and running the probes through the exhaust vent and temperature control was much easier and required much less of my attention. Building up to do a whole brisket or bone in pork butt. This was a big step.

Click image for larger version  Name:	38089D35-3E76-4479-9D1B-CFA866E39A13.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	197.3 KB ID:	344918Click image for larger version  Name:	B2E7ADDD-BD8E-4561-BC73-BAA35A03AE03.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	344919
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	D8106780-7C5D-4DE9-AEB8-394C37159CAD.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	344920

Comment

wcc118 looking good buddy. Riddle me this space coast. I have never seen a rolled brisket. Is that a flat cut tied up to a larger hunk? I'm thinking is so you may be cutting with the grain rather than against. Did you put it in a Faux Cambro? That really helps hunks o meat. I just slapped some pulled pork in a tortilla with slaw and hot sauce. Yum!

Comment

• wcc118
                        wcc118 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It appears to be a flat rolled into a roast. Seems i should unroll it and cut against the grain like you suggest, thanks for the pointer. Granted, the flavor was amazing so id hardly noticed. But I'm still learning.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here