Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahoy from San Diego, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahoy from San Diego, CA

Hey, Ron here from San Diego, CA. I have been using the AmazingRibs.com website since 2010 or 2011 and it has been my go-to resource for all things BBQ. My dad never taught me anything beyond simple burgers and hotdogs on a box-store gas grill.

I started true BBQ shortly after buying my first charcoal grill, a Weber Kettle. I made many fine meals with the indirect method and a quadrant setup that required constant adjustment including two pans of water I would regularly change out. For a long time I wanted to get a proper smoker, but nothing in my sub-$400 budget popped out until I came across the PBC thanks to AmazingRibs.

Building a UDS had already been something I was considering and the price/reviews were right so I snagged one. I have been making great meals with it for several years now. I do miss being more involved in the process, and striving for greater heights. While the PBC is fantastic and consistent, it is consistent to a fault in that I don't see a way to take it to the next level.

i have always liked the look of offset smokers so I am starting to look into my next-level smoker. I am also interested in competition, but have no idea how to get started. Maybe work for an experienced competition pro to get a grasp of everything involved? I'm sure I can figure it all out with this community.

i remember this forum starting up a few years back, but I never dove in. I have also been wanting to grab a copy of Meathead's hardcover, and finally pulled the trigger with some Amazon points I was looking to burn. Behold, a free trial to the Pit Club and here I am!

Now to grab a couple of hours of sleep before I start on my 4th of July pork butt and a rack of spares!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Well there is a lot for us to work with. Stay excited & determined. We are excited to have you with us. Side note, what are you capt. of? Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Sounds like you have plenty of fun ahead of you, with the UDS, possible competitions and all!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

FireMan Just Capt of my BBQ gear; the wife and kids run most everything else!

Henrik Thanks!

4th of July cooking is underway!
          Attached Files

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!
            San Diego is one fine place, in my experience!!!
            Also did some volunteer construction work at Camp Mataguay, up near Warner Springs, n' Mt. Palomar...

Comment

Welcome from a California escapee. I went to high school in Poway, moved to La Jolla, PB, OB, and then North Park. Went up to the Bay Area before escaping to NE Washington. As for the smoker, it's only money. Find the one you like then start saving, working overtime, or doing side jobs until you reach your goal.

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

(Captain) Ron, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance an Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! Regarding the Offsett Smoker Your Hankering for, I have had Two COS's so Far! The First a Brinkman👎, the Second an Oklahoma Joe Highland, much better than the Brinkman but difficult to Seal Up Do To Poor Fabrication! I really Like the Food Smoked on Both! I saw a better also Priceier One at the Local Hardware Store but I can't Remember the Name of it? I Called Scheel's and Its a BroilKing Offset Smoker but I don't believe Max Good has reviewed it Yet? They had it Priced at +- $800.00! I flat Love San Diego 👍👍👍👍👍 🌠 🎇 🎆 🇺🇸 "Happy Independance Day" 🇺🇸 🎆 🎇 🌠 Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Comment

Welcome aboard from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome! Glad to have you with us. (Did you mean to post a thumbs-down, or did the crazy thumbs-up-turns-to-thumbs-down bug get you too?)

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from another Ron.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here