Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Minnesota

I am a 62 year old male who has been cooking for awhile. Bought an electric smoker 4 years ago but that did not work too well. Could never create at least 225 degrees. Modified it a little but did not have a good way to regulate heat. Bought a Kamodo Joe this year. Been having issues with regulating heat in that too. I have a digital thermometer so I am able to track the heat.
    Would like to smoke some more meats and learn to make sauces. I have been to some competition, as a visitor, and found that the sauces are what can really make the meat.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you Sir. We are about as far from Minnesota Dakotahjoe as one could get. Located on the lower left of your map in the case you were looking. I'm sure there are some skilled folk around here who could help you make your temp right and meat so good you won't need any sauce. Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I have a BGE and setting 225 is easy, but as I move to higher temperatures upward holding temperatures like 350 or 400 is more challenging, and I get wider swings. When I am doing low and slow at 225 I clean out the fire box, put in a layer of large charcoal, then fill in with a layer of medium, and then fill with small up to the fire ring. I light one starter cube in the center with the bottom wide open, and once it catches close the dome with the daisy wheel removed. When the temp approaches 300 I close the bottom vent to about 1/4", put the daisey wheel on and close each pebble to half way. Then I put my fist size wood chunK right on top of the fire, put in the diffuser and grill in and wait until it stablizes at 225. Then the meat goes on. I usually put it on the night before, go to bed, and pull it at 200 degrees. Then it goes in the faux cambo for a couple of hours before serving at noon.

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! Enjoy good food.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Southern Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Welcome Dakotahjoe

Comment

Dakotahjoe, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                  Enjoy "The Pit"!
                  I suppose You Know You're Living on the Wrong Side of the River❓❓
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from a transplanted Minnesotan.

Comment

Dakotahjoe ... welcome to the Pit.👍

You came to the right place.👌 Sauce making is spelled out vividly by Meathead in the tested recipe section. Click on tested recipes and scroll down to sauces. Done!

How to control the heat in your Komodo Joe? Also spelled out under some sticky note threads created by CeramicChef listed under Kamado Cookers. There are 8 different threads that were specifically create to help new Kamado owners. You should go there and read all of those threads. They will greatly shorten your learning curve on your new cooker.

start with this one... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-the-lump-pile
                      Last edited by Breadhead; June 19, 2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Dakotahjoe
                        Dakotahjoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. I will check that out

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                      Lookin' forward to yer input...
                      Anyway I can help ya', jus' lemme know...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

A little bit from ya, next state to your east. Eat good & have fun! Glad to have ya with us, enjoy the summer, winter's coming!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit, we are happy to have you here! Make sure to browse that Taming the Savage Kamado thread. That changed the game for me. I was having similar problems when I first got my Kamado. I found out that I didn't know the first thing about using a Kamado. That thread turned that all around!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you use on a regular basis. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for the support! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Make sure to jump right in on the fun. This is a a great place to hang out!

-Spinaker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here