Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Greenhorn getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll still hit a stall, but it will be shorter in duration.

i think most here like a firm bark, so up your temp a bit and power through it. Personally, I am not so much of a fan of firm bark, so when I hit the stall, I double wrap in Aluminum foil. Greatly shortens cook time, but softens the bark. If you wrap and after the stall you unwrap to re-firm the bark, your internal temp will drop. So if I wrap during a cook, I leave it wrapped until the end and leave the butt in the double wrap through the faux cambro.

I have no idea about ribs. Ribs are so thin I don't even try to put a probe in them.

Just gotta play with it and see what fits your tastes best. Practice, practice, practice. Different tastes, textures and techniques work for different people. There is no one right way. The "RIGHT" way is the way you like best.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
      You'll still hit a stall, but it will be shorter in duration.

i think most here like a firm bark, so up your temp a bit and power through it. Personally, I am not so much of a fan of firm bark, so when I hit the stall, I double wrap in Aluminum foil. Greatly shortens cook time, but softens the bark. If you wrap and after the stall you unwrap to re-firm the bark, your internal temp will drop. So if I wrap during a cook, I leave it wrapped until the end and leave the butt in the double wrap through the faux cambro.

I have no idea about ribs. Ribs are so thin I don't even try to put a probe in them.

Just gotta play with it and see what fits your tastes best. Practice, practice, practice. Different tastes, textures and techniques work for different people. There is no one right way. The "RIGHT" way is the way you like best.
      More Pure Gold. Thank you!

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. No gold, brother, no gold at all.

But I have done a few and tried different things to figure out what works best for me.

I've got till the 4th to get this right brother. Believe me it's pure Gold.

Comment

I know, that is why I said you don't have that much time! Flies by!

But I'm betting there will be a few of us in the pit on the 4th.

BTW, when you are doing your seasoning cook without meat, and playing with your temp control, watch for smoke leaking out between your lid and bowl. You may need to clamp some binder clips to prevent leakage. The leakage makes temp control more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
          I know, that is why I said you don't have that much time! Flies by!

But I'm betting there will be a few of us in the pit on the 4th.

BTW, when you are doing your seasoning cook without meat, and playing with your temp control, watch for smoke leaking out between your lid and bowl. You may need to clamp some binder clips to prevent leakage. The leakage makes temp control more difficult.
          I'm doing everything wrong. I have chicken on the grill right now with apple wood. no thermometers or anything. I'll probably be dead by tomorrow ;-) And yes I have leakage, A bit of downward pressure eliminates it. I'll check roundness later when it cools down.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't get sick assuming you reach an IT of 165.

Chicken will be a decent seasoned, too, just not long enough for my liking.

Is your chicken over direct heat or indirect?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            It's gonna be Jus' Fine, don't panic...
            Ya' jus' gotta monitor yer cook.=, now an' again..
            Depends on how hot yer runnin', as to how often I'd scrooge with openin' th' lid...
            I ain't dead, jus' yet. Ain't never used no leave-in thermo, thus far..
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 4, 2017, 12:55 PM.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I DO use an instant-read thermo, once it gits where my experience tells me it's close to desired.
            Ya' should too, not check juice colour, or other such mumbo-jumbo.
            If ya' ain't got any kinda probe thermo, it'll be okay. But one makes life much easier.

Indirect. But the darn temp guage is right above the coals so I've got everything wide open. Pure WAG at work here.
          I am waiting on my SnS and the Meat headbook and rib racks. Im getting ready to order a meat thermometer and the Auber and the drip pan. . Next sunday is a for real practice run.
          I put the seasoning on last night.
          Last edited by UNK; June 4, 2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd likely choke down the exhaust to about 1/4 to 1/3 open and the intake to about 1/4. That should have you running at lest 325*F and give you crisp skin.

How are you checking the IT?

Im not checking. Im gonna cut it open and look at it In the past I have cooked it till a white matter came out then figured it was done. Seriously I am surprised I havent gotten sick before. I have learned so much in just a few weeks.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice!

Comment

First session with nothing to go by turned out ok. Just right in some spots and a bit over in others. Probably because I cut the breast into grids down to the bone so I have more area for the spices to adhere to. Forgot to put foil on the charcoal grid. I have a mess to clean up. No more cooking until I have all the stuff to do it with. At least I have lunch for the week.

Comment

Its all very good advice. it just seems like a lot as our learning curves never end. Your curve is July 4. You are obviously a learner. Keep notes and your thermometer will help you with stuff like chicken. Always give yourself more time than you think you will need to prepare the food.we are hard on ourselves here because we care and love BBQ and what it brings to us. Solid advice has been given to you and it seems like you get it. I think you are going to be ok.

I concur with richinlbrg especially on the air leakage with the kettles. Easy peasy and Bobs your uncle. I love my Kettles! You will too.

Comment

I went into this totally blind and am just glad at this point it is edible. I do have a question. The smokey taste seemed very strong. Overriding the spices. What did I do wrong?

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                    PJBowmaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Poultry absorbs a LOT of smoke. Most folks don't use any smoke on chicken. Or just a few chips.

Comment

Originally posted by UNK View Post
                    I want to be able to present smoked ribs, 4 racks, for the annual family dinner on the 4th. I also want to be able to grill steaks burgers and bird for daily consumption and grow to become an accomplished backyard charcoal chef.
                    A noble aspiration.

I have just purchased on the Memorial Day sale a Weber kettle 22" and 100 pounds of blue bag charcoal. I already have a set of grill tongs and flipper that will work for now.
                    Great choice; this purchase highlights your intelligence! IMHO, there is not a better value for the backyard cooking enthusiast, 22" Weber kettle & KBB.

I think it is important to say up front, I don't think I will enjoy being tied to a grill that I have to constantly monitor and adjust airflow.
                    Not exactly sure of what your definition of "constantly" is? However, for me, the tending to the fire and food is most enjoyable. A therapy of sorts.

I need help to decide what I need to purchase next in order to meet all of my goals.
                    As others have pointed out to you as well.
                    • Weber Chimney Starter
                    • Slow 'n Sear
                    • Thermoworks Smoke or a Maverick variant
                    • Instant read thermometer of sorts
                    This should have you Good to Grill!!

Happy Cooking!!

Comment

I agree with Doozy, you need the Slow 'N Sear and a good thermometer. The most popular ones are Maverick, Thermoworks Smoke, Fireboard and Weber iGrill 2. Different price range, and different transmitter tech (RF vs Bluetooth). Some with an accompanying app, some with more probes than other. Either way, you will need one.

As for the ribs: do a few practice runs way in advance, this will help you tremendously before doing the big cook. Nothing beats experience

Comment

Originally posted by Doozy View Post

A noble aspiration.

Great choice; this purchase highlights your intelligence! IMHO, there is not a better value for the backyard cooking enthusiast, 22" Weber kettle & KBB.

Not exactly sure of what your definition of "constantly" is? However, for me, the tending to the fire and food is most enjoyable. A therapy of sorts.

As others have pointed out to you as well.
                        • Weber Chimney Starter
                        • Slow 'n Sear
                        • Thermoworks Smoke or a Maverick variant
                        • Instant read thermometer of sorts
                        This should have you Good to Grill!!

Happy Cooking!!

I want to thank everyone for their help! If I could figure out how to multi quote that would be helpful :-) I have the 22 inch Weber with the ash pan, an Auber thermo/fan combo, SnS and the drip pan, A Thermoworks Dot with two different probes and a Thermo Pop (arriving today). And Meatheads cookbook.
                        I'm going to be grilling/smoking all weekend :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here