Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to do the best I can on an inferior budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to do the best I can on an inferior budget

Currently on my 3rd grill. Somehow managed to set fire to one of them. Unfortunately I only read the grill reviews on this site about 6 months after purchasing the current hunk of crap. I can state that the review for my model was very accurate, they called it prone to rusting and it is being eaten away by the stuff. Despite having a cover on it for the first 18 months.
    I hope to replace it with something better thanks to the expert reviews on this site along with a brand new smoker. I just have a tight budget to work with so I can't go too nuts.

Anyway, onto the tasty stuff. My favorite meat is lamb, prefer roasting it but grilling a whole leg sure is yummy. Makes my neighbor drool when I do grill one. We also get a side of beef from a local butcher every year. Just installed a new upright freezer this weekend to store the next one in. We get the every cut available from it and it is all locally grown, grass fed and pasture raised. At a great price too! Usually comes in around 360-380 pounds. We vacuum seal everything up so we can feast all year round.

Welcome yrdddraigoeiucsomethinganother

Which upright did you guys get? I'll be purchasing one of those soon.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit yrddraiggoch! Thanks for the support. Jealous of that new freezer full of locally-raised beef!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

welcome,

If you are on a really tight budget, consider buying a used weber on craigslist. All of the cooking parts are available on Amazon and other web sites. I rebuilt a Weber Genesis Silver B (2002 version) for my son. Other than the wheels, the new grates (ss), flavorizor bars (ss), and burners cost less than $150. If you find a newer one with less replacements needed, it would be less.

I painted the outside with 2 spray cans of High temp flat black grill paint ($4 ea.)

The grill works great and my son loves it.

Because there were so many Weber Grills purchased, there are many aftermarket parts that are a lot cheaper than the Weber OEM parts and work just as well.

BTW, I paid $65 for it, and it came with a propane bottle 3/4 full!
        Last edited by bten; May 14, 2017, 06:54 PM. Reason: forgot to put the cost of the used grill

Comment

Welcome yrddraiggoch

Comment

welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from CT

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Letting us know just how tight that budget is will get you the best recommendations.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you here.

Comment

Budget, who said anything about a budget. Obviously you did not read the fine print upon joining. Browse thru the site & learn what your latest affliction (MCS) is. Boy are you in for a ride. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome! Craigslist for Webers. That's the ticket. Post pictures and/or the actual ad and you'll get help! Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, glad you have you!

Comment

We got a Frigidaire FFFU14F2QWJ for $380 from HHGreggs as they are closing down. Took some measurements and was able to load into the back of the minivan and take it home the same day. We had discussed getting one for the last 18 months but something always came up to poke a hole in the budget. With that store closing down we saw it was the best chance we would get for at least another year. Nearly maxed out the credit card to get it but it will be worth it in the long run.

I had hoped to get a smoker this year but the slow decaying death of the grill (some Kenmore pile of crap) and the need to payout on a few big ticket items for the home means they will both have to wait until 2018 tax return time.
                          I have my eye on the Pit Barrel Cooker for the smoker, the wife is on board with that but is mad about having to replace the grill after a couple of years. I would probably need to keep the grill budget under $200, maybe $250 if I can convince her that it is a killer piece of kit and a good deal.

I primarily cook for just the 2 of us but the grill would need to be able to fit a 5lb leg of lamb with the 2 zone method so it can't be too small of a cooking surface.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A 22" Weber kettle (~$150) and Slow 'N Sear (~$90) would fit the bill nicely in my opinion, plenty of space for 2 or more people's worth of food and will handle a 5lb leg of lamb.

• HawkerXP
                            HawkerXP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We love lamb as well and have done a leg on the PBC. Came out great!

Tough, if not impossible, to beat a Weber kettle and Smoke n Sear combo for a quality smoker at that price. The versatility of that combo for grilling makes it a no-brainer.

Comment

yrddraiggoch, You are Getting Good Advice from Huskee and @ Steve R.! I have used Weber Kettles for +40 Yrs! I can tell you First Hand the S 'n S and Drip & Griddle Combination make the Kettle a True Smoker! OBTW don't forget the Secondary Market for Weber Kettles! CraigsList, Garage Sales, Thrift Stores, and-and-and❓
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here