Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from NE Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from NE Florida

Hello, everyone. I've been cooking for some time but just grilling. I have just become addicted to smoking (meat). My gateway meat was chicken wing drummettes, then I did a pork tenderloin, and yesterday, in honor of my joining Amazing Ribs, I made SLC ribs for the very first time. I also ordered the SnS and DnG, thanks Dave! I use a Weber Platinum Performer with the gas burner to light the coals, and hardwood instead of briquets.

I confess I hated the idea of wasting charcoal on dry runs to calibrate my grill, but I had marked the stops on the bottom vent so I was able to control temperature for the ribs in a 25 degree range from the ideal (varying between 200 and 250). Next cook will be easier since I know where the approximate stops are and will have the SnS. Got a great smoky flavor, pink smoke ring, and chewy but not unchewable texture. A nice tug removed meat from bone easily. I have a dual thermometer with remote so I could monitor the temperature from indoors.

My rub recipe (not Meathead's Memphis Dust, which I will definitely try on the next batch of ribs) was left over from the tenderloin project, but it proved to be too salty for my wife, who rejected her ribs, thus leaving more for me. This was not deliberate but I suffered through it in the name of science. Last fall she canned a batch of homemade datil pepper BBQ sauce from datil peppers (they only seem to grow in this part of FL) we grew at home, and this sauce combined with the home smoked ribs was divine and overcame the oversalting. I think the other rub worked better with a thicker cut of tenderloin but the salt amount overpowered the thinner amount of meat on the ribs.

If someone could point me to answers to two questions that came up as a result, I would appreciate it.

1) I like dry brining but realize that I need to use a lot less salt to suit our palates. How much can I reduce salt and still have an effective rub and dry brining?

2) My wife prefers more tender ribs than I do. I like the caveman throwback tearing of meat off the bone with my teeth but she wants it less challenging. How do I achieve both? Do I just cook her ribs longer, or use the Texas Crutch, or ???

Thanks to Meathead and the team for this wonderful resource.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

If you are using a commercial rub then you really have little control over the saltiness other than using less rub. If you use your own rub just don't put any salt in it and then you can both dry brine and better control the amount of salt when you dry brine.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Kansas Territory!!!

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr Bones, you in the KCK neighborhood, or parts further west? I spent a lot of time in Dodge this winter.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Mebbe half hour west of KCK, Larryville...

Welcome to the Pit ... from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

First, look at the package of ribs in the store. If they have been injected they probably already have enough salt in them. I look for ribs that haven't been injected, but can't always find them.
          Second, if dry brining, salt like you would if adding salt to your meal. I don't worry about how much - I just shake a little on like I would at the table.
          Third, either make your own salt free rub or look for one with low sodium. That way you control the amount of salt.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit KabBBQ! Thanks for the support and nice to have you here! +1 to what has already been said, control your salt by buying ribs that haven't been injected if you can, no salt in your rub, and dry brine with the amount of salt you'd typically add at the table.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) "Huskee" with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome KabBBQ

Comment

Welcome to fun!

Comment

welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Ischweig pretty much nailed it. You will learn to seldom if ever have salt in your rub. Eat good & have fun.

Comment

Welcome from CT

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York.

Comment

Thank you all for the hearty welcome and salting advice which I will heed on the next cook. I did the homework assignment, too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here