Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Mesilla Valley in the Land of Enchantment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Mesilla Valley in the Land of Enchantment

Hi;
    My name is Bill and I just stumbled across this site and it took me all of about 10 minutes of browsing to know I had to join. I live in historic Mesilla, NM.

We are 40 minutes from Hatch, home of the world famous Hatch green chile. My wife and I have a small pecan farm that yields about 8k lbs/yr. Pecan wood for smoking is the other fringe benefit.
    My equipment:
    For everyday use and almost all of my smoking is a Weber. For just the 2 of us I can get a 10-12 lb. brisket or 6 lb. pork shoulder on indirect heat. We also use the rotisserie collar for chicken and turkey.
    I have owned a New Braunfels offset barrel smoker since the mid 80's when they were built to last a lifetime. Much heavier gauge steel and steel strapping around the doors, not like the cheaper versions today. Usually only use if cooking for a crowd.
    La Caja China cooking box. Used rarely for big crowds. I have done a whole hog, multiple pork shoulders, multiple turkeys, etc. Incredible cooker with incredible cooking times but no smoke.
    I am looking forward to being a member and Learning from the site and other members. Although I lit my first grill back in the 60's you are never too old to learn!

Oh, and I almost forgot, we also have a small hand cranked chile roaster fueled by propane. We like to use this to roast our 40lbs of green chile we freeze every year. It holds about 3 lbs. of chile so the chile doesn't get beat up like in the commercial roasters. That way you can have perfect unbroken pods for chile rellenos
    Last edited by wmsjensen; March 19, 2017, 06:53 AM.

Welcome wmsjensen

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Grew up in Libertyville.

welcome from michigan

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Used to work for Delphi in Troy

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Lived in Valparaiso for a year, worked in New Albany for 18 months, living in Louisville.

Bill, welcome to the pit from North Carolina!

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Hi Bill, welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, originally from No. Ill.

Welcome from upstate New York, Bill.

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, used to spend a lot of time around Corning for work.

welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bill.

Comment

Welcome, from Old Virginia!

Comment

• wmsjensen
                wmsjensen commented
                Editing a comment
                My niece lives near Fredericksburg

Welcome Bill! We're glad you're here.

Comment

• wmsjensen
                wmsjensen commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you.

Welcome to some great fun in the Pit!

Comment

• wmsjensen
                wmsjensen commented
                Editing a comment
                Some of my fondest memories of food are from New Orleans!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here