Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member from Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Alaska

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I have lived in Alaska for 26 years and before that Northern Michigan. I came here via the US Air Force and couldn't leave. I have been smoking on and off since I was a boy mostly fish. I have gotten bitten by the smoking bug again and have started smoking meats. Currently halfway through a UDS build to do my meats. I'm planning on building a cold/warm smoker for as soon as spring hits for Fish/Sausage/Bacon. Excited to learn as much as I can.

Welcome to the Pit! I am gathering you like it cold. Some of the guys in the Midwest and Northeast brave the elements to cook year round. You will have them beat if you cook year round.

Comment

• Wando52
      Wando52 commented
      Editing a comment
      We cook year round, but July and August might be the toughest when it's 95 deg F 90% humidity 😀

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York. I was lucky enough to spend 8 days touring Alaska last July and just loved it there.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
        Welcome to the Pit! I am gathering you like it cold. Some of the guys in the Midwest and Northeast brave the elements to cook year round. You will have them beat if you cook year round.
        Yep I cook year round. Did a pork butt about about a week ago. When I put it in the smoker it was -9 degrees.

Comment

Welcome from Northern CA

Comment

Welcome from Colorado (although I would have said "from Alaska" back in the 80's and 90's) ...

Comment

Welcome from ohio, glad you stopped in.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from SoCal

Comment

Welcome Fishgod

Comment

Greetings from the Lower Peninsula and welcome to the Pit!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Fishgod ...👍

If I lived up your way I'd definitely study up on Kamado cooking. If it's below zero you can smoke pork butts and/briskets for 14 or 16 hours and never go outside to check on your cook. No need to add lump coal or wood chips at all. You will need a DigiQ Dx2 and a Maverick ET 732, 733 or 735 so you can monitor your cooking temperature and meat temperature from your recliner in the family sitting close to the fireplace.

After you close the dome and stablize the smoking temperature there really is no need to go outside in below zero temperature to check on your cooking. Plus you can sleep during half of your cook too.🤙

Or... you could use a stick burner and go out in that -9° brutal coldness and feed your cooker logs every half hour.😖

Comment

Welcome aboard Mr. Fish G. Hmmm, So.Cent. Alaska, bein' AK is a pretty big place, that might put you in the bush. Lookin forward to input on the smokin of fish end of things. Eat good & have fun.

Comment

Greetings! Spent a year out on "The Rock", Shemya AFB when I was in the USAF! Got kin that live in Wasilla, very nice place been there several times!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here