Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good morning from a very cold Rural Ottawa Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning from a very cold Rural Ottawa Canada

I'm Merna and I own, with my partner Stonebriar Farm , 1/2 way between Ottawa and Montreal. We produce Maple Syrup and Sugar at our farm. A couple of years ago I started smoking my homemade bacon and cheese with the Amazing Smoker pellet smoker; a great product btw. This Christmas my dh gave me a Webber smoker. Please understand I never re-gift or take back presents, this was a generous and thoughtful gift; however it wasn't all that practical for two people. I took it back and bought the Webber performance charcoal grill that would allow me to set up smoking and grill steaks. I just received the Slow N sear and I'm testing it today on a -20 degree C day. That's - 10 or so F, I'm finding I have to have all vents open and more charcoal than would be nessesary in warmer temps. I'm thinking a BBQ Dragon would be worth the cost, at least for today. There was a day when the USD was on par with the CD, I find it hard to spend 800 dollars on this set up challenging,k but what the heck (moderators is heck OK?) what do I work for anyway but to get the things that give me joy?

Now I have a question; everyone make mistakes when they are starting out, this past Christmas I bought a thermo pen and a chef's alarm with an ambient temp probe as an extra. Well I can't monitor grill temps and meat temps with this. What is the least expensive way forward? Another chefs that I can use to monitor the grill temps or should I buy the Smoke setup from thermo works?

If anyone is interested in a pizza oven the UUNI pellet pizza oven it is fabulous and I can help anyone who is interested in using Maple Syrup or sugar in sauces or other items, just email me. I'd love to assist you, we are small produces and aren't looking at marketing at all, just at helping anyone interested.

Thanks fir for the site it's awesome.

merna

Welcome to the pit!

I started a DOT, where I just switched cables back and forth to see pit and meat temps. I have added a Chef Alarm to use with the DOT to eliminate this switching and get a better info during the cook.

Comment

Welcome Stonebriarfarm

Comment

Welcome to th' Pit, Merna Stonebriarfarm !!!
        Glad yer here, an' welcome to DH as well!!!
        Lookin' forward t' hearin' from y'all, an' might well take ya up on orderin' some syrup fer sauce makin'!!!
        I'm purty sure I'll git addicted, gittin' th' real thing, vs. store-boughten...
        Bin' a long many years since I had real syrup.

Comment

Stonebriarfarm, Welcome to "The Pit"! Merna, You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
          Enjoy "The Pit"!
          I envy You and Your Partners Maple Syrup operation, Every since I read in a book as a kid about throwing Hot Skimmings off the Boiler onto the Snow for Candy, I have fantasized about but Have Never Had the Opportunity! I have been invited to Northern Wisconson for Just Such an Opportuniy this Month?
          Regarding Your Info Request for a Leave In Dual Probe Thermometer for Your Grill/Smoker, I would look at either the Maverick et 732 Or 733 Dual Probe Thermometor! $70.00 to $80.00 US on Amazon Currently! If You Go to the Homepage of this Site and Go through the Equip Reviews for Thermos! If You Clck on the Buy AmazingRibs.Com gets a Spif and adds nothing to Your Cost! For a higher end look at the FireBoard 6 Probe Thermo! I have Both 👍👍👍👍👍
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; March 5, 2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was just writing about you!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Anything Good? I need all the Positive FeedBack I can Get? @tbob4
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes - see below. Positive feedback? I tried self talk. It wasn't working. The doctor asked me to tape myself and bring it in for evaluation. I did. He said "See, you are doing it all wrong. You are cussing at yourself." "Oops" I said. "Fast forward, in that part I was talking about you."

Welcome from Northern CA. There are a lot of really good cold weather cookers on this site. If I were starting out and in your position I would buy the Fireboard for temps because your will be able to compare with Danjohnston949. He will be a really good resource for you. He BBQ's in similar temps and posts his graphs. He gives detailed description of ambient temps and its effects on his cooks. Spinaker posts a lot about his cooks in cold weather, too. and writes about the effects. Look up his posts, as well.

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York, Stonebriarfarm

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Merna. I started out with 2 Chef Alarms for lack of a good dual channel thermometer. Recently, I acquired a Smoke and no longer have to dash outside (esp. in cold weather) to see how grill and meat temps are behaving. I guess that in answer to your specific question, a second Chef Alarm would be the cheaper way forward ... but a new Smoke might be the best.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Merna. Adrenaline BBQ has a great video on how to grill a steak using the SnS. It's on the main page - just look for the closeup photo of the medium rare steak.

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Stonebriarfarm! Thanks for joining! I also started out with one unit, but I don't remember whether it was a DOT or ChefAlarm. I switched the probes out until I bought a second unit. I now have a Smoke and it uses the same Pro-Series probes as the DOT and ChefAlarm and is great to monitor temps indoors in cold/hot/rainy weather, or when I'm busy inside. Well worth the price for me, especially since I had several meat/air probes already.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska, Merna!

Comment

Glad to see ya Merna. Welcome from the Oregon Coast. Doesn't get cold here, but it's extremely wet and windy, (we average 85 inches a year here) for that reason I LOVE my Smoke thermometer from Thermoworks. If you sell your syrup by mail I'd love to talk too you about it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here