Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Western Mass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Western Mass...

Hi, I've been using Amazing Ribs for (too) many years and the guilt of getting all this fabulous information free finally got me to fork over the $s to pay for this great site. My apologies to Meathead and crew, the former being someone my wife thinks I’m a a little bit too fond of. What does she know?

OK, I'm retired, always loved food and cooking (1st generation Italian with a Momma who could/would cook like nobody’s business). I have 2 Weber Kettles (18 & 22), Weber Smokey Mountain cooker (18), and my "love" – a 1964 Casa-Q by Sazco – their "giant" model which is all of 18 inches in diameter. She’s affectionately known as "the Saz", and it was my wife’s’ very "hip" California grandma who originally owned it. When she moved east in the mid-70s, she brought it with her, only to collect dust for 40 years in a barn. One day my brother-in-law said… "you have any interest in an old ceramic cooker?" 20 minutes later Saz was in my backyard. All the metal was severely rusted, so I hand stripped it, and a friend (NOTAVEGAN) had it nickel-plated. The firebox was gone, as they were not very robust, so I had to improvise. I cut the handle off a large cast iron fry pan, and made a small aluminum stand for it to sit on. I used this as a way to keep most of the heat away from walls/bottom. I bought a large kick-ash bucket, and it sits in the cast iron pan – and there be my firebox. It’s not perfect, but in warm weather I’ve made it just over 30 hours with 1 stuffed-to-the-max load of charcoal, at ~225 degrees. As part of the original design, about halfway down the lower half is a ridge on which a grate sits to hold the ceramic (?) fire ring. On top of this ring sits the cooking grate. Something I can also do (can’t take credit for it – just happened to notice this…), is put just the cast iron pan (no kick-ash bucket) directly on the grate that holds the fire ring – it just fits inside it, and this puts my coals 4-5 inches below the grate for grilling. Works great! (again, hadn’t thought about this when I came up with the firebox setup, just got lucky).

Saz doesn’t have nearly as thick walls as the modern cookers, so in winter she uses more fuel – but nowhere near as much as my Weber. I don’t do high-heat cooks, afraid I’ll kill her – but I’m perfectly satisfied with slow & low. I’ve brought up over 400, but decided…why chance it? She’s also has a hairline crack on the lower half, but the rings keeps it tight and there’s no leakage. The seals had to be replaced, and a little work on the lower vent. I contemplated various refractory cement repairs for the crack, but again decided – why risk it. The original ceramic cap was missing, so I bought a Rocky Mountain adjustable stainless steel cap, which I also had nickel-plated.

This year I plan to design/build an outdoor cook area (with Saz at the center!), but right now she’s on the deck.

OK, for anyone still awake I will now attempt to post pictures… the last pix is what it looked like new (found on interweb) - I also have base with wheels, but it was not finished when I took these pixs.

n Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL26673.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	282783Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL26694.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	282784
    What they looked like new(ish):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sazco.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	282785

Welcome pjc

Comment

Welcome to The Pit pjc! Glad to have you here. Great intro and beautiful classic kamado! Thanks for sharing pics of that, I've never heard of those.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome t'to th' Pit! pjc ! Very cool cooker ya got there!!!

Comment

pjc, Welcome to You & Saz to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
          There are Lots of Ceramic Users Here, You will be Flooded with Oohs and Aahs Directly! 👍👍👍👍👍
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome aboard pjc. I enjoyed reading your introduction and I love how you refurbished "the Saz". Looks great and I like the red.

Comment

WOW! Great intro. That cooker is really cool. Can you post some pictures of the inside and your configuration you have set up? We would love to see what you've done with the fire box. There are a lot a DIYers in here!

Welcome to the Pit!! Hope to hear more from you.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. That's one great lookin' cooker you have. Enjoy it.

Comment

Welcome. Love it!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I had an original Kamado in the early 70s and the booklet warned against high mfinall wore out, so now I have a BGE. My advice would be keep it low and slow and grill on your Webers.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado... nice ceramic you've got there...

Comment

Welcome pjc from a former Northampton resident, that is a great looking Kamado - very cool!

Comment

Belchertown for me, for a summer. Welcome! Great refurb!

Comment

• BGWolf
                              BGWolf commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I worked in Belchertown for a few years!

pjc from one western mass(er) to another. Welcome to the Pit. Having seen that Saz first hand, the pictures don't do it justice.

Tip of my cap to pjc whom I hold solely responsible for my Q obsession.

Feeding Hills / Southwick

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here