Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike aka Spydrummer from MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike aka Spydrummer from MS

Hey all,

I've been blissfully managing the outdoor cooking for the family for several years now but have recently started slipping into the subculture. I honestly don't know what happened, one day I'm happy just cooking the same burgers and sausage for the wife and kids and the next day I just felt like I needed more. Been getting pretty darn good at ribs over the past year or so. For a couple of years I've been grilling and smoking on my weber kettle with pretty positive results, but really wanted to expand into a larger smoker. I chose the 18.5" smokey mountain and did my first cook last night of spare ribs, sausage, corn and potatoes. I got excited when it came in and didn't season the smoker or do any dry runs, just payed attention and rode the vents (which needed adjusting literally every 5 minutes or so to keep exactly on 225, obviously a result of the reflective surfaces and my lack of experience with the WSM.) By the end of that cook (6 hours or so) there was a nice matte coating over the interior. The food came out great. I'm hoping to learn a lot here, hopefully find some other local Mississippians, and learn more about both cooking in the smokey mountain and about gatherings like competitions (never been to one.) I'm in a pretty great locations as memphis, southaven, and other great bbq landmarks are within very reasonable distances to me. While smoking on my kettle, my favorite things to cook were ribs and sausage. With the extra room in the smokey mountain I would like to try my hand at larger things like brisket flats and some roasts. I wouldn't consider myself a novice as I've been able to get consistently good results thanks to an understanding of the mechanics of how cookers work, but I would consider myself a learner which would explain my membership here.

My screen name by the way, goes all the way back to middle school when I would often play a spy in what was a very popular video game at the time, and I was/am a drummer. It's immature but it's mine. Although I gave up video games, I did become a professional percussionist after getting a music performance degree and when I had kids settled down as a band director.

Nice meeting you all,

Mike from Madison, MS

You're going to have a great time trying out the stuff you learn here. Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Spydrummer! We’re glad you joined and great job on your signature. Here's a link to our bullet smokers sub-forum in case you haven't found it yet.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to th' Pit!
        I consider myself a learner, as well!
        Lookin' forward t' hearin' more from ya'!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, your over 1000 posts now. You a full fledged Pit boy now!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha Spinaker !!!
          That jus' means I talk a lot, not that I know anything!!!

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't sell yourself short Mr. Bones......

Welcome to the Pit!! We are happy to have you here.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Now that you have posted let's get rid of the myth that 225 is the Holy Grail of BBQ. The 225 temp is only a suggested temp to start with and does not have to be held to perfectly. I also obsessed with trying to hold everything to the "perfect" 225 for a long time. Only to find out due to the pit mostly that as long as you are within generally the 225-275 range you will be fine.

There is a wealth of info from the members on this site that are always ready to jump in and help you with whatever questions or observations you may have.

Again welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike aka Spydrummer. I think your moniker sounds cool. Don't tell anyone again how you got to acquire it. The mystery will add to the coolness. As far as not knowing what came over you in your cooking progression it's called "Feed the Fire" & MCS, two addictions. Hope your fam enjoys, eat good!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mike. My Dad was born and raised in New Hebron. We visited every year while my Grand Parents were alive.

Comment

Welcome to some great fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome Spydrummer

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! Glad to have you Mike!

Comment

Welcome aboard from the Denver area ...

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York, Spydrummer

Comment

Spydrummer, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Mike, Enjoy "The Pit"!
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here