Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the site and to smokers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site and to smokers....

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm from NY, but live in CT now...

I have always loved bbq, but last year finally got a PBC to do some myself. I don't know what the f i'm doing most of the time, which makes this site all the more valuable.

I mostly smoke ribs and chicken as they are my favs as well as my wife and kids. So if/when they ask for it, I cook it.
    I smoked a turkey for thanksgiving on the Pbc and it turned out really, really good. And people have my smoked chicken and can't believe the flavor.

I tried brisket once and failed badly. I want to start to figure out brisket...

Anyway, I have two chickens to smoke and I want to try something different by brining it or seasoning it differently than I normally do (standard rubs put on a couple hours before). If anyone wants to point me in the direction of good rubs/marinades for the chicken....

Welcome to the Pit! Check out Meathead's Memphis Dust (sweet) or Simon and Garfunkel Rub (savory) at this AR link:
    Dry rubs are a mix of spices and dried herbs and they are rubbed into the meat before cooking. They come in a wide range of flavors. The art is creating a blend of harmonious flavors that will complement the meat or veggie. The science is knowing how they will change when subjected to heat.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Matey!

I'd check out the recipes and techniques section (especially for spatchcocked chicken). I generally keep the rubs pretty plain, but the Simon & Garfunckel described on the site is pretty popular.

What part of CT? I'm originally from Danbury.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Northern Illinois.

Comment

Howdy Verdez , n' Welcome to th' Pit! Glad y've joined us here, lookin' forward t' hearin' from ya.
              I mostly smoke my yardbird Cajun style, with my own rub.
              If yer interested in th' recipe, gimme a holler...

Comment

Welcome to the pit Verdez , enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Northern CA. I don't have a PBC but the people who do here are phenomenal. You will get expert advice for everything you can think of.

Comment

A big hearty welcome to you. This is possibly the best BBQ forum I've ever been on. Everyone here is so cool and helpful. No attitudes here. Tim

Comment

Welcome Verdez

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska, Verdez!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Verdez! We’re glad you're here and thanks for introducing yourself! As other's said, look at Simon & Garfunkel and Meathead's Memphis Dust for chicken. I also like just pepper and garlic powder. In case you've not seen it yet, check out the PBC sub-forum as there's a ton of great information there.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                          1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                          2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Verdez nice intro! One of my personal favorites (if I do say so myself) for smoked chicken is my own rib rub. It's great on chicken & ribs both I think. It's got a little more chili-type flavor to it, balanced with onion & garlic, and sweetness. I leave the salt in and use it as the dry brine, but you can do it saltless and dry brine separately if you prefer. If it strikes your fancy and you end up trying it, let me know what you think. White lies not allowed

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit! What grade was your Brisket? If it was select it may have been nothing more than the grade and experience. Go for choice or prime.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here