Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mountaineer in WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Mountaineer in WV

Hello from WV, I love Amazingribs.com, then bought the Meathead book and decided to see what the pit is all about. Every time I pointed the browser to amazing ribs I would see the ad for the pitmaster club which says something like "if we have helped you up your game, consider joining the pitmaster club" Since you have definitely helped me "up my game" it is only fair that I pony up.

I'm a former civil engineer who changed careers and went to dental school with a wife and 4 kids. I love all things outdoors. My story with cooking outdoors goes as follows:

My dad is color blind, can't tell the difference between various shades of red and brown. Growing up he always overcooked everything on the grill, sometimes completely black, and gave the excuse that he just couldn't tell when something was done because of his colored blindness. So as soon as my brother and I were able, we started doing the grilling and the quality improved somewhat. Now I know that instead of taking over the grilling we should have just gotten Dad a thermometer, of course I'm pretty sure that Dad was also just using the colored blindness as an excuse to get out of cooking which he hates, he pulled the same thing with being "allergic" to grass, (which he is mildly) so that my Mom cuts the grass for him (well now that we are out of the house). Anyway, I grew up grilling pork steaks in Missouri, just not very good ones.

Couple of years ago one of my buddies here in WV got into smoking and he would have us over every holiday for pulled pork, but sadly he moved out of state. When he moved he left me his smoker which he told his wife he couldn't fit on the truck, there was plenty of room on the truck...he just wanted a new smoker. It was a cheap Chargriller "Pro". So next memorial day I went online and found AmazingRibs.com which is the absolute most comprehensive website for cooking on the internet. I learned what to do with a pork butt and spent a whole day fussing with that cheap, leaky grill, trying to keep the temp steady and smoke on the meat (now I know why my buddy abandoned it). The pulled pork was fantastic, but geez what a pain watching that smoker like a "bachelor at a beauty pageant". I smoked on that thing for about a year, even one time doing 6 pork butts in one day for a church function, until last June my wife got me a Pit Barrel Cooker for my birthday. Since then I've been throwing everything that I can think of on that thing. I'd like to say that I love it everything about it, but I have some issues with some things so I joined "The Pit" to get some ideas on how to work through some of my issues with it.

Smoked a turkey for a friend on the Pit Barrel which turned out fantastic, and I ended getting requests for smoking 4 birds for different occasions over this past holiday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787_2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	268103
    Attached Files

A hearty welcome from Illinois to both the pit and and PBC nation.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana! Good lookin bird there.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Kariandscott! What a great intro, I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats on dental school and the new PBC! We have a rather large forum here on the PBC. A member named Kathryn, Pit name "fzxdoc", has put together some amazing posts on lighting it and times & temps for various foods. You can find our PBC channel here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!!! We are happy to have you here. Great looking bird man!!

Comment

Welcome Kariandscott

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Scott.

Comment

Welcome aboard! What a beautiful turkey! See you around The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois. Nice looking turkey! Glad to have you in the pit.

Comment

Welcome from the great state of Virginia! PBC! PBC! PBC!

Comment

Welcome to the pit Kariandscott , great looking turkey. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome from Northern CA. Great introductory story!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here