Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post

Hi everybody
    My name is Ben, from Australia. I came across amazingribs.com earlier this year when my wife brought home some pork spare ribs from the butcher, and I googled what to do with them. I ended up doing them coated in Memphis Dust, indirect on my gas grill. They were delicious. This chance encounter kindled a beautiful relationship.

After reading more, I realised that I needed to try out cooking with charcoal. My previous experience with the black stuff was limited to a few burnt sausages at my inlaws place many moons ago. I told my brother about my aspirations, and he gifted me an old Weber 22.5" kettle, in great condition, that he had found by the side of the road years earlier.

Following Meathead's advice I ordered the Pro BBQ kit from Thermoworks. While I waited for it to arrive I gave my new Q a good cleanup, and not being able to help myself, cooked up some very large T-bones ala Better than Steakhouse Steaks. I was only guessing at the temperature, but they turned out to be sensational. We were hooked.

Since then I have done the steaks a number of times, loin chops in sheep dip a few times, lamb lollipops a couple of times, a shoulder of lamb, pork ribs about half a dozen times, and my hands-down favourite; two senstational pork butts. Along the way we have also fallen in love with the sides like KC BBQ sauce, the beans, the slaw, the cornbread, the crack & cheese. It's all magnificent. I have followed more advice and gotten myself a Smokenator and Hovergrill, which I couldn't do without.

I really do have Meathead to thank for my newfound passion. I have always enjoyed cooking, but this is on another level. I look forward to learning more and seeing how everyone else does it, and I'll share my own photos and experiences along the way.

Cheers!

Here's a pork butt smoking away last weekend
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2886.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	26135

Some ribs with crack & cheese in the background

Name:	image_2887.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	26136

Those same ribs hitting the hovergrill

Name:	image_2888.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	26137

Loin chops in sheep dip for Australia Day

Name:	image_2889.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	26138
    Last edited by bennyo; October 14, 2014, 09:07 PM.

Welcome Ben! Greetings from the other side of the world. Great job with your pictures by the way. This is a great intro post, so thank you.

When you get a minute, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here- but it seems you already know this.

We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum!

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        You must be back home. I'm in Italy. We might be in the same time zone!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I am. Italy, great country to be in! Northern part, our southern? I'm guessing northern part, their cuisine is more meat focused ;-)

Yes, we're in the exact same time zone, so good morning!

Hey Ben, welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here