Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guy here, and I already have a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy here, and I already have a question...

Good Day y'all, Ryan Weber here. I just signed up to be a new subscription members and wanted Tom say hi. I am currently using a Dyna-Glo 1890 Wide Body Smoker. I am having some issues with accurate Temperature readings between the smokers Gauge and my Digital probe. The are sitting literally 1 inch apart from each other. They will range anywhere from 5-15 degrees apart from each other. Any ideas on how to go about resolving this issue??

That's actually pretty close, considering how inaccurate the built in gauge/thermometers are on all smokers. I would venture to say your digital probe is inaccurate as well. What brand/model are you using?

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

You can test your digital thermometer in either boiling water or ice water.

Pretty much all of the gauge thermometers are off.

Comment

I am using the Weber's iGrill2 Digital Temperature Thermometer with Bluetooth Monitoring. The Bluetooth is supposed reach 150ft but I can't get any further than 50ft.

Comment

RW, Welcome from Indiana!

bi-metal built in thermometers are notorious for being horribly inconsistent. A 5-15 degree variation is actually pretty good compared to some. Some of those thermometers can be removed and possibly adjusted but unlikely. If you are dead set on getting or having a thermometer on your door then you may look into purchasing a Tel-Tru. They are pretty good. My recommendation though would be to find a way to drill some probe holes and trust the digital. You can easily check your digital thermometer accuracy with a boiling water and ice water test.

One thing you may want to test is temperature variations from top to bottom on your cooker since it is a vertical offset. I too have a vertical offset (brinkmann). Some of the frustrations I have had with it seem like they would be resolved with the Dyna-Glo offset design. I would be curious to hear your opinions on the smoker: how you think it performs, pros, cons, construction quality, etc...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ryan.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Rdubyaa! Thanks for joining up. I like the looks of those wide bodied Dyna Glos. I have half a mind to pick one up and play around and use it for extra capacity. I'd just ignore your dial thermometer since you have a digital. It's like ignoring a sundial once you get a clock.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
              1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
              2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Rdubyaa

Comment

Welcome aboard Rdubyaa!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska, Ryan!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Las Vegas, Ryan & Tom.

Throw the gauge away. Its only purpose is to plug the hole where the gauge went.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here