Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year!

My name is Scott and I am from Nebraska.
    I have a question right off the bat.

Looking at the canadian bacon recipe, it says to cure for 10 to 14 days.
    Using the cure calculator it shows a minimum of 4 days for my parameters.

Which is the correct amount of time?
    Thanks!

Welcome plmcrzy

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
      “Homemade Canadian Bacon
      Canadian bacon is another one of those products that is so much better when you make it at home. This style of bacon is actually a smoked cured pork loin, the curing accomplished with a wet brine. It’s simple and will do wonders for your breakfast sandwich. Also try it as a topping for pizza or burgers.
      Makes about 3½ pounds

1 gallon water
      1½ cups kosher salt (I prefer Morton’s)
      ½ cup granulated sugar
      ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
      8 teaspoons pink curing salt (look for it online or where canning items are sold)
      1 tablespoon dried juniper berries, lightly crushed
      8 sprigs fresh thyme
      8 sprigs fresh sage
      4 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat side of a knife
      1 (4-pound) boneless pork loin
      Recommended wood: Apple

1.Combine all the ingredients, except the pork, in a pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugars. Remove from the heat, let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
      2.Remove all the fat and silverskin from the pork loin. Place it in a container large enough to hold the loin and brine. Pour the brine over and put a plate or other weighted object on top to hold the pork completely submerged in the brine. Refrigerate for 48 hours.
      3.Remove the loin and discard the brine. Rinse the loin under cold running water and pat dry. Place on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan and refrigerate, uncovered, for 24 hours. This allows the loin to dry, creating a tacky surface called a pellicle, which enables the smoke to penetrate the loin more fully.”
      4.Light a fire in the kamado grill using your favorite method. After about 10 minutes, close the dome and open the upper and lower dampers all the way. When the temperature reaches 300° F, place the wood chunks around the fire and add any accessories necessary for smoking on your particular grill, along with the grill rack. Close the dome, let the temperature build back to between 200° and 250° F, and wait for a little smoke to accumulate. Adjust the dampers to maintain the temperature in this range.
      5.Place the pork on the grill, close the dome, and smoke to an internal temperature of 150° F, usually around 2 hours, but it could take as many as 3. Let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.”

Excerpt From: Thompson, Fred. "The Kamado Grill Cookbook." Stackpole Books. iBooks.
      This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...k?id=939442618

Comment

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        8 Tsp of #1 Pink Curing Salt? Holy cow!

Welcome to the Pit from a fellow Nebraskan!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Scott.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! Wish I could help answer your question but it looks like LA Pork Butt has got you covered...

Comment

Never done the Canadian Bacon. But welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

What are your parameters that you are using, Scott?

Comment

• Shane Rakow
                Shane Rakow commented
                Editing a comment
                I typically double the recipe. 2- 3lb chunks of loin in the same container, (side-by-side, not stacked). 2-gallons distilled water, 4 tsps of #1 pink cure and so on. I cure for 2 weeks. Keep everything clean during the process and enjoy the bacon. It is quite good.

• plmcrzy
                plmcrzy commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you ever vacuum sealed and froze the goodies?

• Shane Rakow
                Shane Rakow commented
                Editing a comment
                You bet! Vacuum sealing is the way to go. Some slices I cut thicker for steaks, some thinner for Eggs Benedict, sandwiches, or pizza.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit plmcrzy! We're glad you joined!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                  2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit plmcrzy/Scott! Thanks for joining up.

Remember, the calculator tells you the minimum time (you can go longer), based on what you've entered for meat shape, thickness, and the amount of water YOU enter, which should be enough to submerge the meat. Meathead's recipe is a static version of this which works fine and is completely safe if followed to a T, whereas the calculator is interactive of course and adjusts to whatever variables you enter.

Comment

• plmcrzy
                      plmcrzy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think the reason I got such a different curing time with the calculator compared to Meatheads recipe was in the way I measured the loin. I put the loin on the counter with the label up and measured from the counter to the top of the meat which was 2.5", measuring left to right it was 4"

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here