Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Post - making BACON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post - making BACON

Just finished bacon on the BGE. My first taste test was very good. Here is what I did, and I would appreciate any comments. I bought about 10lb of Pork Belly from COSTCO. I read online that COSTCO removes the skin. I dry brined it using approximately the following...2/3 cup Kosher salt, 6 TBSP black pepper, 4 tsp #1 prague curing salt, 2/3 cup brown sugar. I mixed everything beforehand, and with food gloves I massaged every nook and cranny of the pork bellies, (divided into 3 pieces). At the end I still had rub left over, but threw it out...I couldn't put any more on. After sitting in the fridge for 7-8 days, (massaging every day), I smoked on the BGE at 225 until I read a temperature of 160 degrees. I then realized that the skin was still on. After cooling a bit, the skin was super easy to take off with a fillet knife. Cut into slices and am really happy with it. My main question is 4 tsp of #1 the right quantity to use for dry brining 10lb and what do you think of not removing the skin? It seemed to work rather well. Thanks.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome JEB

Comment

Follow the recipe found on amazingribs.com. They even have a curing calculator. If you have 1 pound of belly, and it calls for 1 tsp. Do that. But if you have 3 pounds, then 3tsp.

A 9 pounder can be cut into 3 pieces and you 3x the recipe. Simple.

Definitley divide/cut your belly BEFORE you add the curing salt and the rest of the ingredients. It will be more precise. I smoked some bacon yesterday on my Kamado Joe.

Comment

I've never had skin-on pork belly from Costco. Make sure what you saw was actual skin, or just fat. I was concerned about that on my first belly, but it was just fat. It was white, and looked like fat Keep that fat!

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Southern Illinois! The first bacon that I cured hooked us. Haven't bought bacon since. You like what you made-duplicate it and then you can branch out to other flavors. Enjoy!

Comment

Scottranda, thanks for your comments. Just to be sure I am understanding you correctly... 1tsp of #1 powder per lb sounds like way too much. I don't see that in the recipe. Also, I am pretty sure my belly had skin on it when I bought it from COSTCO, it was had for me to tell before hand, but once it cooked it became apparent it was skin and by the ease it peeled off I assure it was skin. Thanks!

Comment

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Recipe is 1/3 tsp per pound. I couldn't remember. I just follow the recipe to a tee. If you get a 9 pounder, divide into 3 pieces, and add a tsp per slab.

Welcome to The Pit JEB! We're glad you joined!

Although you've been with us for some time (and likely read this dozens of times on others' intros), here's your very own link to the homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
                Hope to hear & see more from you!
                Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 24, 2016, 05:03 AM.

Comment

JEB For everything we know about making bacon see this page.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here