Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from El Salvador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from El Salvador

Hello! To introduce myself, I am a young(ish) grilling enthusiast from El Salvador and have been for most of my life. Down here it's difficult to get good cuts of meat, but we do the best we can with what we have!

I've been grilling since I was about 13 I guess, focusing mainly on skirt steak, burgers, ribeyes, NY strip, chorizo and others. For a while I alway thought I was top-dog when it came to grilling and bbq, but since discovering this site I've realized so much of what I was doing is wrong, so it's been humbling. So here I am, bought the book, and now I'm ready to re-learn everything I thought I knew and making some good progress. The thing I have most problems with regularly is consistency.

Grilling has always been a relaxing experience for me. We have a place up in the mountains overlooking the city where I like to go on weekends with friends and family and cook some good food and drink some cold beer. We've got two custom grills (one stone one brick) and one old Brinkmann smoker (pictured) that recently gave its last breath. Never smoked much though, I once smoked some ribs and they we're truly terrible, which I'm now learning was from way, way too much smoke.

Down in the city I live in an apartment and just bought a Weber Kettle and ordered some gadgets like the Slow n' Sear, which I'm sure my upstairs neighbor hates when I light up on the balcony.

So that's me, glad to be part of the community and thank you in advance for all the help I'm sure you'll give me.

Cheers,
    Gijs

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you here. Love Central America. El Salvador is the only country in Central America that I have yet to visit.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, glad to be here! C.A. is pretty nice, and El Salvador is no exception!

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Welcome! I am looking forward to reading some recipes from you with an El Salvador twist on ingredients/spices.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll see what we can come up with!

Welcome gijsveltman

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Welcome from Indiana, USA.

Comment

Greetings ... and welcome to the Pit from Colorado!

Comment

• gijsveltman
        gijsveltman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, love Colorado!

Howdy from North California! We flew Taca Airlines once and did a stopover in San Salvador. We didn't have time to visit the city, but we did have some lunch an airport restaurant that touted it's local cuisine. I had a kind of meatball sandwich that was delicious, I wish I could remember what they called it. The beer was good too!

Comment

• gijsveltman
        gijsveltman commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I know which place you're talking about, it's pretty good!!

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit gijsveltman ... 👍

A couple of custom grills, a Weber kettle with the SnS and beer...😁. You're good to go! You might want to get a Thermapen and a BBQ Dragon at some point though. Cook on and teach your fellow El Salvadoran friends what good BBQ and grilling tastes like.

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska, Jijs!

Comment

Welcome gijsveltman. It's great to have you here. See you around The Pit.

Comment

• gijsveltman
            gijsveltman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

I love that the Club is getting so international!

Comment

• gijsveltman
            gijsveltman commented
            Editing a comment
            The Club shall reach every corner of the globe.

Welcome to the Pit! It is a great place to ask questions and learn.

Comment

So, what have you been most of your life, young, grilling or in ElSalvador, or all of the above. Would love to see pics of the cookers you mentioned, other than expired Brinkman. Welcome aboard, eat good food & have continued fun!

Comment

• gijsveltman
              gijsveltman commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess all of the above! We're making some burgers on Sunday, will post the equipment and the results. Thanks for the welcome.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here