Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Middle Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Middle Tennessee

Hi everyone, my name is Curt, and I live in Dickson, Tennessee, a rural community about 45 miles west of Nashville. I'm in serious need of help. My talent as a BBQ'er, smoker, or griller range between very poor to non-existent. I've read most of what's online, and the book "Meathead" is on the Christmas list. My major problem is getting beef tender. I raise my own beef, grass fed with light corn finishing. Although the meat looks good, it tends to put up a fight when trying to be eaten. My meat is not injected with a brine, however I'm certain it's my poor cooking skills that are the major problem.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Very quickly you will host a number of qualified individuals in the pit to help you out and guide you on your journey. It is a definite learning experience.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Curt!

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Pit!

How do you cook it? Do you grill, smoke, sous vide, pan fry, stab it with a stick and dance it over a campfire? Give us some details and maybe a picture of your cooker so we can help in a more specific way. Secondly, and always, beef is going to be more tender to the bite if sliced across the grain. I have had slabs of steak that if you cut with the grain, you have jerky. Across the grain is much easier to munch on. I'm sure after a short time here, your tough meat issues will be moving in the direction of tender and juicy!

Comment

Welcome CurtisJ

Comment

Beef is about matching the cut to the technique. I would suggest posting a "I want to cook <this>". And many here will give you much detail. My favorite cut? I'm loving chuck roast. Simple, chuck, awesome. I highly recommend planning. Get ideas before you cook.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. What types of cut do you normally cook? And what type of rigs do you normally use while cooking them? Lets get to work on solving this issue.

Just curious......what breed are you raising?

Comment

Welcome aboard Curtis. Get Meathead's book NOW! And then pick some piece of meat & find it in this site NOW. You will then experience what everybody in these parts experience this weekend. Glad to have you with us & enjoy the ride! Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome aboard Curt, I have to chime in on what the other guys are asking and saying. What cut of beef are you cooking, what are you cooking with, etc. etc. etc. Different cuts of beef will take different techniques to cook it properly. Definitely get Meatheads book, it is chock full of very good useful info that will help guide you on your way to some tender and tasty beef. At least you are one step up on most of us here, you raise your own beef which is a very big plus on the quality of the meat. I have a relative in Arkansas that raises cattle and he says he finishes his cows on sweet peas instead of the corn and of course they are all pasture raised. He does give them antibiotics during the raising phase then stops that a month or so before slaughter so all of that is out of their system. He swears that he has the best beef he has ever had.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Along with the cut of beef and your cooker others have mentioned, how lean is your home grown beef? This information will help the folks in the Pit give you their best guidance.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Curt!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit CurtisJ! I used to live nearby in Fairview and my parents still do (they've been there since the 1960s). It's been a few months since I was in Dickson to visit a friend who rented in the downtown area. It's a nice town.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                          1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                          2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

CurtisJ, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! Your Question has many variables! I think the first thing you want to consider is What Color is the Fat on your beef? Grass fed will be Yellow and Lean, Grain Fed the the Fat will be White and the Meat Marbled! You might want to evaluate this and Start your Personal Slaughter Beef on Grain a little earlier? Like the others have suggested,
                            You are going to have to do a Bit of Resesarch!
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here