Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from cold rainy southern Illinois.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from cold rainy southern Illinois.

Hi everyone, Floyd from southern Ilinois. I have been studying this wonderful info for a while and have great success with recipes from here. Last meal ribs are great! I have corned beef simmering on the range and pastrami rubbed down in the fridge. I started curing bacon a couple years back which keeps mine and a couple friends from buying the commercial kind. I use a vacuum sealer to keep the cure on the pork belly for 9 days in the fridge before a rinse and smoke. Then wrap the whole slab in freezer paper and freeze for a couple days then slice. The very first batch was sliced by hand, then I purchased a used commercial slicer. I cook in a reverse flow smoker that I built from a 250 gal propane tank using mostly Apple wood from a local orchard. I do pork butts, and pork loins for holiday dinners. Dry aged beef for steaks is a good thing in the extra fridge in the garage kitchen. (The wife is not fond of the look and smell of that process) but turns out wonderful after 4 weeks of aging. I have sent links to this site to several friends. Keep the great info coming.

Welcome to the Pit, Floyd!

Comment

Oakgrovebacon Welcome to the Pit, FLoyd, glad to have you here!

It sounds like you are making some great cooks! I'm sure everybody would love to see pics of your food, as well as your smoker. I'm looking forward to learning with, and from you!

Comment

Greetings, Floyd ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from snowy northern Illinois. Sounds like you are already an accomplished pit master.

Comment

Thanks all! I will try to get pics next time the smoker is in action. Maple-expresso bacon is next for Christmas gifts for fellow employees at work.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmmm. Apple-smoked Maple-Espresso Bacon? Naw, that doesn't sound delicious at all, nossir. Lol! ;-)

Oakgrovebacon, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from across the river in southern Indiana.

Comment

Oh no, not another one of these guys who builds his own 250 gal. propane tank smokers. As I have stated on other threads, I hate you guys. Welcome aboard. You had me at bacon. Cannot wait to see what you cook up & see your cooker/cookers. Enjoy the ride, glad to have you with us!

Comment

My only issue is that my wife does not care for smoked meat, the bacon however is acceptable to her taste. It started after watching cooking channel shows where a barbecue restaurant cured and smoked their own bacon. She challenged me by asking if I could do that? The first batch was a success and I have evolved from there. Jalapeño with maple syrup and onion flavor is wonderful in a BLT.

Comment

Welcome Floyd! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Originally posted by OAKGROVEBACON View Post
                      My only issue is that my wife does not care for smoked meat, the bacon however is acceptable to her taste. It started after watching cooking channel shows where a barbecue restaurant cured and smoked their own bacon. She challenged me by asking if I could do that? The first batch was a success and I have evolved from there. Jalapeño with maple syrup and onion flavor is wonderful in a BLT.
                      Over time it's likely she'll start to like it. My wife has definitely grown more of an appreciation for it anyways. lol

Comment

I noted that you did a rump roast. Could you share what temp you took it to and what rub you used if any.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from cold, rainy North Georgia!

Comment

Glad to have you in the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here