Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

Hey there fellow pit masters,

A hearty hello from Down Under!

I've been smoking for a few years now and started off by going through Meathead's articles. Glad to see that he and his team have evolved it into The Pit and the best seller cookbook. Thanks to his teachings I've been able to serve the family a few memorable meals (see pics).

A Q'ers work is never done so I'm here to learn from all of you experts.

Happy smoking!
    Maurice

My tools of the trade: two weber kettles + weber rotisserie + Cajun Bandit stacker + Amazen pellet tray for cold smoking cheese

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	244888

Name:	Cedar Plank Salmon.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	244889

Name:	Schweinshaxe.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	244890

Welcome HeatnSmoke

Comment

Welcome to the pit! HeatnSmoke

Comment

Welcome to The Pit HeatnSmoke. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support. Nice cooks and great photos. Now I'm hungry...again!

Although you've been with us for some time (and likely read this dozens of times on others' intros), here's your very own link to the
        homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Comment

Greetings, Maurice and welcome to the Pit! I spent so much time in Melbourne when I was with BHP Billiton back in the 90's that I still consider it my second home. I have to say, I really miss the place ...

Comment

HeatnSmoke, Hey Down Under, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
              Enjoy "The Pit"! Judging by Your Pic's Your BBQ looks to Be on a Par with Our's Up Yonder?
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Comment

Welcome aboard Maurice, a man after my own heart. You referred to yourself as Q'er. Little did you know, you voted for Q in our election. Now I don't have to change my vote & we are gaining ground on the rest of the field. Really cool pics & it's cool that your fam enjoys your work. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, HeatnSmoke , glad you,ve joined us here, and looking forward to sharing.

Thanks for the great pics, yummy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Nebraska, Maurice!!!

Comment

Welcome to The pit Maurice. Nice looking food!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words!

fuzzydaddy -- my homework's all done and have just updated my signature and email. Fingers crossed I win one of the prize draws one day. I can provide a US shipping address if the bbq gods smile on me.

MBMorgan -- Melbourne's changed a lot since you lived here but it's the same old girl inside. If you're ever in town again do look me up and I can show you a couple of the new Q joints that have cropped up recently.

Over the last couple of years, I've been focusing on getting proficient on the low and slow holy trinity -- pulled pork, ribs and brisket -- plus a bit of rotisserie grilling on the side when I don't want to attend to a 10 hour cook. I use word 'proficient' deliberately because mastery takes a lifetime!

I don't post that much but do enjoy the videos and recipes on The Pit. For 2017, I would l like to develop proficiency in 1) curing, e.g. bacon, pastrami, etc 2) cold smoking cheese 3) steak.

Any links to recipes or discussion threads on the above would be most welcome

Comment

Originally posted by HeatnSmoke View Post
                          For 2017, I would l like to develop proficiency in 1) curing, e.g. bacon, pastrami, etc 2) cold smoking cheese 3) steak.

Any links to recipes or discussion threads on the above would be most welcome

Meathead's bacon recipe is currently undergoing revision, stay tuned for it to be re-posted and updated!

I can't help you (yet) on cold smoking cheese, although I hope to get into that soon enough. A friend of mine does it and says 40-45 degrees F, and store it a LONG TIME in the fridge wrapped tightly before consuming or else it will taste bitter. No hands-on personally though.

Reverse-sear is popular and perhaps the easiest way to do a thick steak to medium-rare, but a front-sear then indirect is a quicker way and can be mastered as well.

Comment

HeatnSmoke Why don't you get out from Under and come on Over and feed us some of that? Jeez, that looks good! Welcome from Florida.

Comment

Welcome HeatnSmoke!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here