Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Nashville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Nashville

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	232251Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	232252 I'm really new to the group. Joined yesterday but not that new to grillin'. Been at it for
    more 'n forty years. Started on a habachi on the front deck of my barracks in South Carolina. Been through bout every kinda grill but settled bout nine years ago on an Oklahoma Joe smoker. Burned it through this summer and stepped up to a Kamado Joe Classic. What an amazing cooker. But now I'm learning a whole new way of cookin'. Lookin' forward and to learning from all you masters.
    Workin on a packer brisket today. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Welcome to the group!

Comment

Ebbooker, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! There are Lots of Ceramic Cooker Users Here! I would go to the Home Page and look under the Grills and Smokers Section and the Sub Section on Ceramic Cookers! I am Prdominantly a Weber Kettle and S 'n S User! But it Sounds Like We Are About The Same Vintage! 66 👍👍👍👍👍
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Ebbooker Howdy back at cha! Welcome to The Pit, lookin' forward to hearin' from ya'!

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore, Md! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome Ebbooker from Franklin. It's great to have you here!

Comment

Welcome Ebbooker

Comment

Welcome aboard ebbooker! Wow, I wish I was where you is when I joined. Great lookin gear, pics, & beginning of a cook. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Good set up. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ebbooker. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
                      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana..

Comment

Thank you all for the hardy welcome.
                          Well, I made my attempt on the "Everest" of BBQ - I cooked a packer brisket. On my Komado Joe I made every attempt to regulate the temp to 225 degrees but am discovering that it is easier to hit a moving target at 1800 yds with a .50 cal rifile than keep this cooker in the 200 to 250 range; So for the better part of 9 hours my masterpiece cooked at 275 to 290 degrees.
                          I started with a Kick Ash Basket full of fresh charcoal (Some brand of central American origin). Coals fired up nicely in about an hour, laid in three small to medium pieces of soaked Pecan wood for smoke, and placed the deflector plates, the drip trays and the grills in the cooker. Placed the 8.4 pound packer on the grill and inserted the probe from my Maverick thermo. Dropped the lid on the KJ and waited with a cup of coffee for the temp to set at 225. My lower draft door was open about 1/2 inch and my top draft was open about 1/4 inch with the daisy wheel closed. Temp hit 225, then kept rising to 250. When it hit 275 I shut the top damper and opened the daisy wheel about 1/8 inch. I waited for the temp to drop for about 30 minutes and when it didn't I resorted to adding Bailey's to my coffee and closing the bottom damper by half so it was now only a quarter inch open. 45 minutes later the dome temp (measured using the Maverick Temp probe for the grill was right at 200! So I switched to beer and opened the lower damper to somewhere between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch. After about 45 minutes the dome temp was at 275. I poured another beer from the growler and resigned myself to this idiosyncratic feature of my Kamado Joe. This shortened my originally planned cook time of 12 hours to about 9. The Brisket hit 150 degrees at about 7 hours; now on my fifth (or fourth - but who's counting) beer, I wrapped it foil until it hit 205 degrees (about another two hours). I then placed the hunk o meat to my cooler (preheated), switched to Bourbon and left it for a couple of hours.

Total time: 11 hours from cold brisket to table.

Lesson learned: don't sweat the small stuff-Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Total consummation: two coffee, two coffee w/ Baileys, one growler of really great beer, and two glasses with two fingers of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon- neat.

The Brisket was fine but not great. The experience was fantastic. Oh and I will try the ascent again. Semper Fi!

Comment

Congrats on the 1st brisket! You may have already found it, but there is a ton of detailed info on Kamado cooking here:

I'd especially recommend the "sticky" threads started by a very knowledgeable fellow that goes by "CeramicChef" around here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!! We are happy to have you here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here