Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taterhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taterhead

Hello everyone. Just call me taterhead. I'm from Simpsonville Kentucky. I've always wanted to know how to smoke and grill. I haven't done much due to ongoing illness. However I'm ready to get going. I do have couple questions. I have both the Big Green Egg & the Traeger. I have to get rid of one. Any suggestions or opinions which one i should keep? Also I'm going to try and smoke a boston butt this thursday. Should i brine it and if I'm cooking it a day early before I serve it, how do I warm it back up without drying it out. Thanks for any help.

I won't answer the question regarding the choice between units. I have a Vision ceramic grill (which I like) but not a Traeger. I have a couple of log burning smokers, as well. I know the Vision is not an Egg and you will get a lot of advice from folks who own both. I cook butt's regularly the day before and use a crock pot to reheat. I use a little water, some vinegar and some of my own BBQ sauce in the crock pot to keep it moist. When pulling the butt from my smoker I try to keep it as intact as possible. There are a few places where it will fall apart. You want that anyway, to fit into the crock pot. I start it at high in the crock pot for about an hour, then I like to keep it on low until it is getting closer to serving time. Then I turn it to high again and begin pulling. I add moisture to the crock pot, as needed. It should stay moist. I hope the illness has subsided and you are feeling well. Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! If you can only keep one, I'd vote for the BGE ... those things are amazingly versatile.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; October 4, 2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard Taterhead! My advice would be to hang out awhile on this site. You just may find that it is wise to keep both units. As you get you feet wet you just might end up getting one or two others. 😳 Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome taterhead

Comment

I have a large BGE, a 26" Weber kettle & SnS and a 4 burner gasser. The gasser gets very little use. The big kettle & SnS is fantastic for grilling and smoking. The BGE is easier for long, low and slow cooks plus I bake lots of pizza and bread in it. Then there's the grandkids birthdays cakes, cookies and pies. Then when you want to wok some Chinese food it's really good.

If I could only keep 1 cooker the BGE stays for sure!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard taterhead! We're glad you're here.

I would keep the one that you enjoy cooking on the most and produces the best food for you.

Definitely dry brine the pork butt with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per pound of meat for at least 12-24 hours.

I would not pull it until the day you're reheating, then use a crock pot to warm it up and add back any juices that are in the foil or pan you had it in. I would also add about 1/2 cup of water per 5 pounds, and about 1 tablespoon of butter per pound. I let my family and guests add bbq sauce to suit their taste.

Here's our Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe page in case you haven't seen it.

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit taterhead ! Nice to have you here with us, thanks for joining! I agree on the advice to keep the cooker you enjoy the most. In my personal opinion, were I in your shoes, I'd keep the BGE for sure though since it will hold its value whereas the Traeger will likely lose value and become a high maintenance rust bucket in time. YMMV.

I also agree with fuzzydaddy's advice on the pork butt. Keep it wrapped in foil (or wrap it tightly after it's done smoking if you didn't wrap during cooking), let it cool down to room temp, then place in the fridge still wrapped. Then reheat slowly back up to 150+ all the way to 200 or anywhere in between, then shred right before serving and add the foil's juices back into the finished product.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Keep the Egg, ditch the traeger. The egg is much more versatile.

Comment

taterhead, Welcome to The Pit! You are Noe Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! I am a Weber and COS User so I will hold my opinion on your Question! You might want to look at the home page for discussions on Grills and Smokers! Also the Equipment Reviews by @MaxGood on the AmazingRibs.Com Homepage!
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I'd keep the egg. Pellet grills are not as versatile and most can't sear a steak. That said, the gas grill/pellet grill combo is a very good "easy cooking" setup that covers all the bases (gas for searing, traeger for all the rest).

I think it really comes down to you. If you think you'd enjoy the versatility of the Egg, keep it. If you love the ease of using a pellet grill, there is your answer.

Keep in mind though that pellet grills are mechanical and eventually every pellet grill breaks something. That's a big deal to me because I'm not handy, but it may not bother you at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here