Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Barish, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Barish, here

Long overdue on writing my intro post – whoops! I joined The Pit nearly two years ago. My wife and I had left New York City and moved to the burbs in anticipation of our son being born. One of things on my "Make the Burbs Fun" list was a smoker. I ordered the PBC and it was delivered to our new house before we even officially moved in. We had no furniture, but we had a smoker! I smoked my ribs and we picnicked in the backyard for our first official home cooked meal at our new house!

Now, our son is about to turn two, I use the PBC a few times a month, and can't express in words how helpful Meathead, Jerod Broussard, various mods, and all of you other members have been as I've learned to be a better home pitmaster. I've smoked numerous briskets, nearly perfected pastrami, celebrated Father's Day with duck pastrami, smoked a meatloaf for giggles, and tried to convince my wife to let me smoke short ribs every week! What started out as a curiosity has become a really wonderful hobby.

What I love so much about BBQ is twofold: it's a social food and it's a skill that can always be developed further, continuing to fill me with a sense of pride as I improve.

I love entertaining friends and serving foods that they typically only have in restaurants. And the reactions I get when I serve pastrami – keep in mind, I live near Katz's (and used to live a block from it) – are phenomenal. Smoking a brisket means we get to invite even more friends over. BBQ fills our home not just with amazing smells, but with loved ones, laughter, and memories, as well.

It all sounds hokey, I know, but BBQ has provided me with so much more than the meals that have come out of the smoker. I'm a member of an amazingly supportive community, and I know you all understand what I'm getting at here!

Hope to meet more of you. Happy smokin'!
    Attached Files

Wow, didn't realize you were that close to Katz.

​​​​​​Been great having you around, that's fo show!

Comment

• mikebarish
      mikebarish commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard yeah I used to live one block from it. SO DANGEROUS! Now we're in the burbs, but it's still just a quick drive or train ride away!
      Last edited by mikebarish; August 31, 2016, 07:08 AM.

Belated Welcome from Indiana!

Comment

Grad you are enjoying the Pit and your pics demonstrate that you either learned how in the Pit or you have just been hoarding your know how. Please do share your BBQ knowledge. Judging from you pics the burbs love you.

Comment

LA Pork Butt, I've learned SO MUCH in The Pit. Trying to make an effort to chime in more to help others. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit mikebarish! It's nice to get an intro form you. Great pictures!

Although you've been with us for some time (and likely read this dozens of times on others' intros), here's your very own link to the homework assignment post for new members.

Also, it's very important that you:
          1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
          2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Huskee all set on that front. FYI, have a thread going with David Parrish because updating profiles currently results in an error upon trying to save.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit mikebarish. It's ABOUT TIME... you're here!

Comment

Greetings Mike ... and welcome to the Pit! (finally)

Comment

Welcome mikebarish

Comment

Glad you are having so much fun

Comment

Welcome mikebarish. It's great to have you here and your photos are pretty special.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Mike. Where in the burbs are you. I'm about 25min outside of the city in rockland. You will have alot of fun here.

Lets keep the smoke coming.

Comment

Steve B just across the river from you in Dobbs Ferry (Westchester). Been here two years now and really love it! Thanks!

Comment

An outstanding pic of the dude with the shades! It's also good to see you are a man with the priorities in order, cooker first, the rest of the stuff, whatever. Welcome aboard, even the you have been holed up on the ship somewhere. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here