Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TheGrizMan (with 2 posts already previously as Champseyebrow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheGrizMan (with 2 posts already previously as Champseyebrow)

Greetings all, my name is Joe with the nickname of "The Griz" - some mixture of having to do with having a full thick beard by sophomore year of high school and being a competitive shot putter in high school in my native state of Maine.

About me, I'm an RN (it's on the acronym list already, I checked, go figure! Huskee you should add your title of RRT but perhaps also explain that it stands for Rapid Response Team, too. At least, in my area). I've been a nurse nearly 8 years now. For hobbies I enjoy the outdoors: birding, canoeing, hiking, camping, wildlife photography. I also enjoy playing with our toddler of 3.5 years, and our 3 dogs. I dabble with the piano, and admittedly enjoy playing me some video games (all time favorite being the original Starcraft for the PC, still playing it a couple of times a month with friends on battlenet)... and of course, BBQ (otherwise I wouldn't be here).

My interest in BBQ has been increasing slowly over the past 5 years. I've always loved eating pulled pork, brisket, and chicken. I never actually made the plunge in smoking meats until this summer. I'm pretty capable already in the kitchen, and for fathers day 2015 family got me the Weber kettle. I did a few burgers on it here and there on it but was out of my comfort zone having been used to and growing up with propane grills (presently a Kenmore Elite 550 series). Finally, over the winter, I did some reading up on BBQ, and talking to friends who have BBQ'd and fathers day of 2016 I made my first plunge of smoking meats by making pulled pork with a picnic shoulder (please appreciate my novice here, utilizing picnic shoulder versus Boston butt) - anyway, the meat turned out great - family and neighbors enjoyed it immensely. Even though it took me 13 hours to cook, I caught the itch. August 7th marked a day of days for me. Borrowed two additional Weber kettles from a friend and a family member and smoked 2 pork butts, brisket, and 4 chickens and had a bunch of people over to enjoy it. Went to bed 11p the night before, up at 3a that morning, pork on the first kettle by 420am with baked beans right below it to catch the drippings (thanks to having purchased a SnS), then set one of the chickens (later 2nd set) and then the brisket. I have some pictures from the day here on flickr if you're interested in viewing some of the photos (easier to link up rather than download from flickr and reupload here). Interestingly enough I didn't take any photos of the initial brisket, I think by that time I was pretty busy manning the pork and the chicken to stop and take photos along the way. Since then, I've smoked 4 more chickens in one day. I'd say pulled pork right now is my love but also my fickle mistress, always taking me longer to cook than I initially intend (much to the chagrin of my wife).

Goals for me right now include: learning and mastering the burger with charcoal (first attempt following the steakburger recipe was an epic fail); hone my smoking skills with the pulled pork, brisket, and chicken. Down the road I'll start learning how to cook ribs but I'm in no rush. I'm loving the brisket, chicken and pork pulled right now.

On the near horizon I plan on purchasing a dedicated smoker to add to my outdoor cooking vessel arsenal that I have already (Kenmore Elite 550, Weber kettle 22"). I'm thinking either Pit Barrel Cooker or Red Box Smoker (awaiting review on that product), but I'm more than happy to hear any other recommendations/suggestions for a smoker that you may endorse. I am, of course, on a budget.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know many of you and learning a lot about BBQ.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is a great bargain and great for ribs. Easy to use and turns out great food. I own a PBC, a large home built smoker, a weber kettle, and Chargriller grill. You can't beat charcoal and wood for flavor. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit TheGrizMan ... Nice introduction.👍 You seem like a well rounded, well informed guy. You've caught the BBQ bug, God help you now. It seems to me you already have been affected by a prominent affliction that is common in the Pit. We call it MCS... More Cooker Syndrome. If you are like the rest of us here in the Pit your Patio or Deck will get crowded with new cookers and the gadgets that go with them... Soon.😆

Have fun learning in the Pit Griz Man.👍

Comment

Welcome to The Pit TheGrizMan. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! Great introduction and Flickr photos!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome TheGrizMan

Comment

Welcome from Indiana..

Comment

Welcome to The Pit TheGrizMan /Joe! It's nice to hear from you, and thank you for joining up with us. It's always nice to share a hobby with someone as well as share a sorta similar career. Glad you're here!

Comment

Just think we almost could be calling you the Champseyebrow, whew! Welcome aboard The GrizMan, much cooler! Enjoy the amazing ride!

Comment

FireMan Champseyebrow is sorta my old AOL Instant Messenger (whoa! that's dating me a bit) name that also sorta stuck through the years- in reference to the wrestler The Rock and his being the peoples champ, and raising his eyebrow. But since I haven't watched "wrasslin'" in so long, I don't even know who are the big names anymore... plus, this site has a much more outdoorsy feel to it, so, TheGrizMan it is, I'm happy with the change.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here