Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone

I am new to this group and new to any real attempts at BBQ. I am 52 and live in Ada, Michigan. I have a wonderful wife whom I have been married to for 25 years and we have 3 children, ages 22, 20 and 17. All my past experience has been on a gas grill and a little on a Weber and a couple attempts on a simple barrel smoker but it was so difficult and time consuming to use I never did much on it. I finally decided to jump in feet first and get more sophisticated. I bought Meathead's book, got a Thermapen, a Primo XL grill, and a BBQ Guru CyberQ (which is, by the way, an amazing piece of equipment and I highly recommend it). I have read a lot too. So, now I have a lot of the right equipment, and some book knowledge. However, as in many fields, book knowledge doesn't get you very far. So, I joined The Pit. I figured there are a lot of people out there who have years of experience whose knowledge I can tap into so I won't ruin too many pieces of meat while I attempt to learn all I can about the art of BBQ. My first attempt a couple days ago was some ribs. They tasted fine but were charcoal black. I sent out a post on the forum Porknography to ask for any advice. I am not sure I fully understand how to use this site yet but I am working on that too. I also grow bonsai trees thus the name Bonsai Chuck. I had a lot of other ideas for my name but they were already taken.

Welcome to the Pit, Bonsai Chuck ! There is a wealth of useful information here, and everyone is very friendly. Remember to post lots of pictures of your cooks! You really have some awesome gear there!

Comment

Greetings, Chuck ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

You will do fine here Chuck. I am a new member myself and have found the welcome to be warm and friendly with possibly the best advice on the net!

Comment

Welcome to the pit chuck

Comment

Welcome aboard Bonsai Chuck! We're glad you joined and look forward to having you around.

Comment

Bonsai Chuck, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

welcome to the addiction

Comment

Bonsai Chuck For a beginner I recommend doing a Boston Butt on your Prim Xl. It is a very forgiving piece of meat. You can master a 225 fire and a 12-16 hour cook to an internal temp of 200. I recommend doing an over night cook with enough time to keep it wrapped in a faux cambro for 2-3 hours before serving. It will look almost black but don't let the color fool you. The bark will be wonderful. Try Meaheat's Memphis Dust. Fill the fire box with large pieces followed by a layer of medium and the small up to the top of the fire box. I like to start a small fire in the center. When the Primo temp gets up to 225 I would put a fist size piece of hickory right on top,of the fire. Then I put the heat diffuser in (if you don't have one you should get one for low and slow), next the and butt. I close the top and set the temp to hold at 225. I have a BGE, but this will work on your Primo, too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. We are happy to have you.

Comment

Welcome Bonsai BBQ'er. Wonder if we will see miniature ribs from you if you get your trees & meat mixed up. Nice place is Ada. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bonsai Chuck! We're happy to have you and thanks for the intro, you did great! I've heard good things about a BBQ joint down your way, Two Scotts....have you been there by chance?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, you are at the right place to learn about BBQ. It has taught me plenty, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome Bonsai Chuck

Comment

LA Pork Butt: Thanks for your advice about the Boston Butt. I'm going to try that next.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here