Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porterdriver here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porterdriver here

A new member to the club, I'm from Galveston. And about to be begin my transition from a Weber Genesis and a Bradley Smoker to a small to moderate sized stick burner. So my primary reason here is to consult the Greybeards on equipment. I am on the verge of information overload from reading though. Trying to balance the pros and cons of the Yoder Wichita, the Lang 36" Original, and the Lone Star Grillz LSG 24x36 Smoker. But fear that I may be missing a better option.

Welcome Porterdriver I'm a Lang owner 48D and love it. Can't speak of the others you have mentioned

Comment

Porterdriver! Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! I need to defer to the likes of DWCowles and the other Prof's that I am sure will be along shortly! I do qualify with the Grey Beard! My Scottish Heritage prevents me from the upper tier Smokers! I principally use Weber Kettles and Modified COS's!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 9, 2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! You are going to love which ever cooker you choose once you learn your cooker.

Comment

Welcome Porterdriver! We're glad you're here. Huskee will be along shortly to talk you into that Yoder Loaded Wichita.

Comment

Welcome aboard Porterdriver. Looking forward to hearing about some great cooks. See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Porterdriver! We're happy to have you here. I'd be happy to help in any way I can by answering Yoder questions, if you have any. Honestly, all 3 choices you list are great options.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome aboard Porterdriver! I'm interested to find out if that is your name or does it have some other significance. Look forward to your input. Around here the learnin & the teachin never ends. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

FireMan Name is a nickname that I picked up during the time of the Great Southeast Asian Vacation. During that time I was flying for Air America stationed in northern Thailand. Our go-to plane was a sweet STOL aircraft called the Pilates Porter. Most LS (Landing Sites,aka Lima Sites) were hand-dug on top of a steep ridge by local villagers, and damn few planes could land or take off from these but the Porter (and it could do it at maximum loading as well). During that era, most pilots identified each other by the aircraft they 'drove'. A Cobra helicopter pilot was a Snakedriver, an F-105 Thunderchief (or Thud) was called a Thuddriver, ergo I was referred to as a Porterdriver.
                    Now, aren't you sorry that you asked?

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am not the least bit sorry. Fascinating story! Again, welcome aboard & I am so glad I asked.

So you were an Air America Pilot? ( I know you get that all the time I'm just joking!!) welcome to the Pit! those 3 smokers you mentioned are all great choices! I want a yoder so bad but hear that the reverse smoker Langs are the best for even heat distribution! You really cant go wrong with any of them!

Comment

Howdy friend! Just up the road in Bacliff. Got my share of smokers but can't really answer you question. I love my little Texas Original pit. It had a few quality issues though, but you learn to smoke on anything in due time. This all reminds me of one of my favorite songs! Stephen Stills. Treetop flyer. Sorry, and OLD A&P lifelong mechanic here...

Comment

• Porterdriver
                        Porterdriver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don't know if you have spun any nuts on a Porter but I'm sure that you have some idea of what kind of plane that it was. Two most interesting years of my life.

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Porterdriver ... If I'm ever stricken with insomnia I'll buy a KBQ stick burner. You might ask some of the Pit members about that cooker. Its a popular stick burner in the Pit.

I prefer to sleep during my long low and slow cooks so feeding a stick burner every 30/45 minutes isn't something that's going to thrill me. I like reading about the great food they produce though.👍

Comment

• Porterdriver
                          Porterdriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And what is your cooker of choice, good sir?

• Breadhead
                          Breadhead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          For short smoking projects I'll use my 26" Weber kettle with the SnS. For long low and slow cooks I use my large BGE.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here