Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Barnsley's Ford, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Barnsley's Ford, PA

I thought I should get my intro in since I've been hanging out in the Sous Vide section. This is a great forum, I started this post right after I joined and my computer crashed. I thought it was lost and I'd have to go from scratch. Then I saw the "restore" button and here it is.

I've been grilling since I don't know when. I remember my dad built this big brick grill in the back yard (then my parents split and I don't know what ever happened to it. And now those things are en vogue.)

I admit to being on team charcoal, just as I insist on gas for inside cooking. I'm more a lump than briquette kind'a gal and use a chimney (I give gifts of chimneys when I hear someone is moving from gas to charcoal).

I used to use one of those cheap square grills, until it rusted out. Then I had one that was a grill/firepit, I still have it but only use it as a fire pit (it was a lousy grill, too much space between the grate and the coals). The Weber was inherited from my boyfriend's parents a couple years ago and it's been in loving use ever since.

Three years ago we bought a house. Not far from the back door is a retaining wall which he decided needed to have a hibachi for those times when it's too cold or snowing too hard to fire up the Weber (yes, I love grilling in the snow - not rain, that's too messy). So we got a Lodge Sportsman grill (which I think is no longer made) which we most recently used to grill salmon. Nom! I'm setting up a dedicated space for the Lodge and my Coffee roaster to share.

I do not have a smoker, recently got really interested when I came across an article on Serious Eats about smoking in a Wok. That got me started looking for smoking in a Weber again. Found one on the Weber site and joined their forum. Then I found the Smokenator and started looking up more info on that. Found the SNS and here. Now I'm doomed.

I'm saving up for a SNS - what I would have spent on that is going to a new grill. Oh, there's nothing wrong with the Weber, it's just that I'm not allowed to use it except for grilling (he likes a deep ash pile and I am not "allowed" to clean it out). If I want to experiment, I have to use my own. "Let's run to Wal-Mart and get you a small one to play with." Ah, no. I love him very much, but what's the point of learning on a baby grill? I told him it wouldn't hold enough coals to do anything worth while (and don't anyone here correct me on that!). Since Craigslist is my buddy, I found a BLUE weber. Yes, BLUE. With wood handles (BF poo-pooed it until he saw the wood handles). I've wanted a blue one for a LONG time (money is why I didn't) but I'm not paying $400 for the monstrosity that Crate & Barrel has. This Craigslist grill is $25 more than the one he wanted me to get (for that I could get a new 22" Weber). Did I mention that its Blue??? LOL

I look forward to hanging here, learning stuff, and smoking!

Welcome!

Nice tapetum lucidems in your avatar!

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      The caption for that pic is, "Phasers Armed and Ready."

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at Jerod Broussard going all Latin on us! I had to look that one up! :-)

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I mispronounced the first word for years. Hence it sticking with me.

Welcome to The Pit Atalanta. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support. Nice introduction and great job on setting up your signature.

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      I did my homework. May I have a cookie?

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy your cookie!

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome aboard! We're glad you're here! I have a red Weber 22 myself. I would love to get a blue one to go with it!

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Pennsylvanian. I've never heard of Barnsley's Ford (PA has a lot of weird town names) and Google didn't find it either. Where the heck are you?

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL I thought I'd have a little fun. Actually Google will find it as a reference in an old book about lower bucks county. It's the original name for Newportville, a very small town with lots of history. But heck, SE PA has lots of history.

• jholmgren
            jholmgren commented
            Editing a comment
            Hah - I wondered the same thing. I figured you were somewhere near the Delaware Valley. Greetings from York, PA!
            -Jim

Welcome aboard Atalanta! It will be really cool as you spread your grillin/smokin wings.
          As far as the ash situation, who's the pit boss? Not that I want to create any friction, but ash is ash. And, Lodge still makes the Sportsman's Grill.
          Enjoy the Amazing ride!

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Lodge still does? I've tried looking for it and its darn hard to find.

Pit Boss? Guess it depends on the pit. That's why we're getting a Weber for me. He wants me to convince him that a cleaner grill cooks better.

Welcome to the Pit. I love the Sportsman's grill. (Mine is known as Little Boy) They do make them still but you have to buy them at select places. I thought they quite making them too, until I contacted Lodge. Anyway, Welcome to the Pit. We are happy to have you here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Atalanta, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! A Weber and S 'n S Fan Here!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from another PA resident, Pittsburgh side tho.

Comment

A belated welcome to The Pit Atalanta! Nice to see you here with us!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Picked up the Blue over the weekend. Will start cleaning this weekend. I want to jump right in with smoking, but we'll see how far along I am with the cleaning first. It's not too bad, but I don't want some stranger's cooties near my food. I have a new cooking grate for it at least.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here