Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Natchez, MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Natchez, MS

Just wanted to check in here and introduce myself. I'm and old guy who has been cooking for a while. Unfortunately, I spent a long time repeating the same mistakes with mediocre results. Sometimes things turned out really good, but as I have found, unless you are methodical and organized, it's very difficult to replicate the results.
    I'm cooking on two grills, a Weber Summit and a Traeger Lil'Tex Elite. What I'm learning though is it isn't so much what you cook on, but how you cook!
    Some things that I would recommend to all but the most experienced pit masters, are invest in good accurate thermometers and use them to tell you where your meat is, rather than rely on "feel and intuition". I'm using a Maverick 732 to tell me what the grill temp is at meat level as well as the internal temp of the meat.I also use and love my Thermapen. Great for checking temperatures all over on meat before you pull it.
    Also get Meatheads cookbook. Follow his recipes to the "T" until you get them down, then by all means experiment. Write everything down. Keep a diary of your endeavors, especially with things like brisket, pork shoulders, etc. and last, but certainly not least, use the best cuts of meat that you can buy. Their is a big difference between USDA Choice and Prime and meat that isn't graded. You can grill a USDA Choice ribeye to perfection, but it's awfully hard to make a tough old piece of steer anything but a tough old piece of meat!
    I'm 72 and still learning every day. This website and Meatheads cookbook have gone a long way to make me a better cook.

Welcome Oakalley

Comment

Way to go! Great advise. Welcome to thePit

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Oakalley. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support. Nice introduction!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Oakalley, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! You are Singing to the Choir on the use of "Good" Digital Leave in Thermometers (Maverick 732/733) and a Good Digital Instant Read Thermometer like the Thermopen! I didn't know anything about them until Jan 2015 when I was laying in a Nursing Home recovering from an accident! I started logging into AR's Pit Club and they edumacated this "Old Buck"! I had been Grilling for over 40 Yrs and was lucky I hadn't Poisoned Someone!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha Back at it again old friend!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome my friend! Just an ole Mississippi cajun living in Texas here. Glad to meet ya!

Comment

Welcome from Central Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore!

Comment

Welcome aboard the Pitboat! When does your book come out. You might be new to the Pit but you sound like a grizzled old vet to me. Excuse me for the use of "old". A lot of the peeps on this site are old guys, even me. Don't be overly sensitive about it. My picture does'nt show my age because it is when I was a kid.

Glad to have you, enjoy the ride!
                  Last edited by FireMan; July 26, 2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

I like your username. There is an Oak Alley plantation in Louisiana.

Book A Stay & Dine at The Oak Alley Plantation Restaurant & Inn. Experience Incredible Louisiana Culture and Southern Charm Today!

Comment

Welcome and hope you enjoy the Pit as much as I do.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Oakalley! You speak very wise words, and I trust this is the voice of much experience! We're glad you're here with us, and we look forward to a lot more form you. I often liken cooking meat by intuition and feel to trying to get to work on time without a watch. Some devices simply improve certain aspects of our life so drastically that they're less a luxury and more an absolute necessity! See you 'round The Pit!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                            Welcome!

I like your username. There is an Oak Alley plantation in Louisiana.

http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/
                            Thanks Jerod,
                            As I tell folks here, I'm a Louisianan by birth and a Mississipian by geography!! Probably the reason why we " live to eat, not eat to live"! Grew up in central LA, went to school at USL, now ULL. Most of my family is in LA so that's where we go to visit and shop. Oak Alley is the name of our place in Natchez as well.certainly not as opulent as Oak Alley outside Vacherie, but it's home.
                            Thanks again
                            Also a big thanks to all who welcomed me here to this "Amazing" site. There is a treasure trove of information here.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                              Jerod Broussard commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I went to McNeese. A guy I worked with from Mississippi, he has a cousin also from Mississippi that played on a scholarship at ULL a few years ago.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here