Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Northern NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Northern NJ

I feel like a radio show caller - First time, long time.

I've been "lurking" on AR for a couple of years now, reading and absorbing as much as I can. For some reason I never thought of signing up for a membership until I bought Meathead's book and it offered the free sign up so here I am!

About Me: I'm 37 years old and have lived in Northern, NJ most of my life (with 4 year stints in Southern California and NYC respectively). I've been married since 2008 and have two cats, one dog and no children, which is how I've always wanted it. I work in Midtown Manhattan and love it. Outside of my love for BBQ I'm also a huge comic book nerd with an extensive collection (you gotta do something in the winter!). I also love TV (who doesn't?), movies (ditto), books (especially Stephen King), history (especially American History), the NY Yankees, NY Giants and NY Knicks (two out of three ain't bad) and playing Fantasy Football.

I'm also fortunate enough to live up the street from a 70 year old local butcher shop which has been a dream come true.

Grilling Experience: My father in law gave me my first ever grill - a no-name, no-frills propane grill that took up my entire "patio" in Hoboken, NJ. I fumbled around on it making pretty mediocre burgers, hot dogs and chicken on it until I bought the book that changed my grilling life: Steven Raichlen's "How To Grill". Finally I'm not flying blind and the techniques in the book gave me the confidence and knowledge to really kickstart my love affair with grilling.

It was his book that suggested you can smoke meat on a gas grill (Yes he has you soak the wood, no I no longer do that thanks to Meathead). Regardless, I did soak them that first time, put them in little smoker pouches, put ribs on the grill and...my life changed forever (this was 2010). The ribs were the best food me - or my wife - had ever eaten. At least it seemed that way that night. It changed my life and my focus and from that day forward all I've ever wanted to do was smoke more and better meat.

I went from gas to converting over a kettle grill to smoke (as I learned step by step how to on this site...including ordering the Ribanator or whatever that thing is called) to buying a Weber Smokey Mountain which is my current smoker. I've smoked many porked butts, briskets and ribs...using each as a learning experience. I find every year I'm getting better than the last and again this site is a huge reason why.

Goals: I really want to get a good quality stick burner. I love smoking not just for the end results but for the entire experience. Cooking on all wood, tending the smoker all day, to me that is BBQ. I'm not a "set it and forget" guy - not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm drooling over getting a Lang Smoker or something of that quality. I don't know why I'm scared to pull the trigger yet, but I am.

I have fantasies of being able to sell my BBQ on the roadside on the weekend, or one day opening up my own local BBQ restaurant...you never know....

Here are some pics of my better cooks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pulled pork.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	199609
    One of my better pulled porks...I love using the North Carolina Vinegar-Ketchup sauce with it. So hot and spicy and delicious.

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	199610
    The only way these ribs could have looked better is if I had a better knife. Oddly, I find ribs the hardest to come out consistently the way I like them. I've been cooking primarily SLC Spares but pictured here is Baby Backs which I've been having better luck with.

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	199611
    I've only cooked 3 or 4 briskets so far but this was, by far, my best results. Still working on trimming that fat!
    Last edited by jasondk; July 24, 2016, 12:58 PM.

Greetings ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard the Pit club. I was a lurker once, there are a lot of us here. Looks like you are doing some really good work. Neat is'nt it? Look forward to you giving a tip or 3. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
        Greetings ... and welcome to the Pit!
        Thanks!

Comment

Yo, Morgan! Nothing special, just another Jersey boy here...Central Jersey, Exit 8 - 8A, just saying hey! Jersey boys stick together! regards, Doug Buchanan

Comment

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to far from "yous guys".(never understood that, for me it's always been you all....being from Texas just residing in south jersey). Anyways. I'm just south down 73. Maybe we'll pass by one another one of these days and swap smoking stories

Welcome to The Pit jasondk. We're glad you are here. Great introduction and photos. Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like you're doing quite well on your cooks.

Comment

Welcome jasondk

Comment

Greetings...If your products taste as good as they look then you should be pretty happy indeed. Glad you found that butcher shop. I have two good friends with nearly 40 and 30 years experience respectively. They always take care of me.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome Jason. Looks like you are doing pretty well so far. Keep it up.

By the way I live in rockland county NY probably 1/2 hr from you if your still in hoboken. If you want you can check out my Lonestarz Grillz offset. I love it so far.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Jason. Some great looking cooks there. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

jasondk Welcome to the Pit. We are happy your here. I am also a huge fan of Stephen King novels. He's a genius.
                          Last edited by Spinaker; July 25, 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit jasondk. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here