Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Weatherford, Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Weatherford, Oklahoma

Hello everyone,
    My name is Robin Griffeath and I currently live in Weatherford, Oklahoma. I am an Assistant Professor of Music at Southwestern Oklahoma State University where I primarily teach Applied Voice and music history. I am originally from Madison, Wisconsin. My wife, Kristin, and I have lived in Minneapolis, MN, Tucson, AZ, and Kansas City, MO as we completed our doctorates. I have always loved grilling and barbecue, but it is only in the last year that the subject has become an obsession I currently use a Thermapen MK4 and a Webber Charcoal Grill, but I am in the process of doing significant research on a step-up grill. My current short list is as follows: the M1 Grill from MGrill, the Webber Summit Charcoal, and the Memphis Pro Pellet Grill. I am seriously conflicted about pellet grills. I have two young children (a 2-year old son, and a 4-year old daughter), and meal preparation time and cook time are always in short supply. The attraction of the pellet grills as you might guess is simplicity and speed while not sacrificing smoke. I am not a huge fan of gas grills as I find charcoal and wood more romantic. This loss of romance is another worry I have about pellet grills. The Memphis Pro has a lot of bells and whistles that appeal to the tech geek in me, but I have this nagging gremlin on my shoulder that gets nervous with all of that technology wrapped up in a grill that I want to use for a long time. I can't seem to keep my iphone functioning correctly for two years, and the idea of a grill that is as expensive as the Memphis Pro, breaking down quickly, is more than I can handle. I am currently leaning towards the M1. I am quite interested in a grill that sears well and can perform long cooks with wood. I recently received Meathead's new book, and I can't read it fast enough. I love cooks and cookbooks that teach method rather than recipes. I look forward to continued learning on this wonderful site, and to getting to know you all! Robin Griffeath

Welcome rgriffeath

Comment

Greetings, Robin ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Comment

rgriffeath - HOWDY from OKC! Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession! If you are ever in OKC, send me a PM and I'll stand you to a beer! I'm a former academic and you have my deepest sympathies! Voice!? They pay me to just shut up. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. But that's another story altogether! Welcome!

Comment

Will do. Yes, academia is an affliction that I am still trying to break free of. Thank you for the introduction, and I will get in touch if I find myself in OKC without my spawn

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! If you are concerned about your young children touching a hot metal grill, you
              might consider a Kamodo which will get hot but not as hot as a metal cooker unless it is the new Weber Summit.

Comment

Yes, good point. I have been drooling over the Komodo Kamado A chunk of change but absolutely beautiful.

Comment

Welcome aboard rgriffeath!

Comment

Thank you. I am loving how active this community is. So much fun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rgriffeath! So great to have you here, what an excellent intro post. I hope we can help you in your choice.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• rgriffeath
                        rgriffeath commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for the link and apologies for the public post confusion

Welcome to the pit Robin, as you will find out hear your choice of additional cookers is endless. I love my Camp Chef DLX pellet grill as much as many here love their Kamodo's. I do use my Weber kettle a lot also. Enjoy your search and the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

@rgrlffeath, Welcome to The Pit, Robin! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! You might want to look at a S 'n S for Your Weber or a Larger Weber Kettle with the S 'n S! They do a more than acceptable job of smoking IMHOP!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• rgriffeath
                          rgriffeath commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for suggesting. I had been considering the S 'n S for a bit. Ordered it today as a way to get started before I get my new grill later this year. I am excited 😋

Onward through the smoke, my friend!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here