Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Iowa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Iowa!

Howdy. I've been grilling for a lot of years, but I've only been serious about it for maybe the last 5. I started with gas grills and smoked a few port shoulders and was getting the hang of it... and then moved to a Weber Kettle after my Gas grill literally burned to the bricks during a family cookout! No more gas for me... and I started loving charcoal. I make a mean steak and burgers on the weber, and smoked chicken wings on it quite a bit, but never knew all it could do until visiting this site. I bought Meathead's book and have almost finished it.
    Since my wife wants nothing to do with lighting charcoal, but does want to grill, I bought a Rec Tec Rt-680 a week ago. She is intimidated by it, but I think she'll come around soon. I just got my Grill Grates today, but so far, I've made a really excellent set of Baby Backs, chicken, and lots of bacon! Veggies too. All in a week! I'm loving it. So I took the plunge, signed up for the Pit, bought some ThermoWorks gear today, and I'm working my way up to the Brisket I bought a few days ago. I travel a lot for work (I'm a technology consultant), so I won't get to grill as often as I'd like through the week, but weekends will be fair game. I hunt and process my own deer meat, and deer bacon on the RecTec is amazing!
    I'm happy to be aboard, and I'll share some cooks and pics as I go along.
    I'm looking forward to hanging out...

Welcome, Techmaster !

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Techmaster ... It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a really good Pit Master. You've collected some great gear so far. I will warn you though as you poke around the Pit and see what all the other members are doing on various cookers you're very likely to become afflicted with what we call in the Pit... MCS. That's short for More Cooker Syndrome.

Many times when new a member joins the Pit they have 1 or 2 cookers and not very many gadgets. Then a year later their deck or patios are no longer big enough. They go into the remodeling phase and add space to the deck or patio. They build a shed out back to store the new gadgets in and then try to tame their MCS. Most of us find quitting acquiring cookers & gadgets very difficult.🙄

Don't ever say... You guys never told me what I was in for.😆 Have fun in the Pit.👍 Show us some picture of what you're cooking sometime.
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 8, 2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Techmaster. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support. You have some great gear and a lot of experience. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your cooks.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Techmaster! Thanks for joining up with us here. Our wives sound very similar. When I used a gasser a lot, she would too. But now that I've switched to charcoal, she's not a big fan of grilling. I've recently got her to be less opposed to running it, by walking her though some steps. I started by having her watch them temps on the Maverick, and taking the meat off when it said 203-205 ( I was "busy", had something to do and "needed" her to do it). Then it was filling the chimney ahead of time for her, and putting the lighter cube under it, and all she had to do was light it and dump the coals when the chimney stopped smoking. By the 3rd or 4th time of doing those little steps, she actually had made a smoked spatchcocked chicken all by herself. She's coming around, maybe yous will too one day. Of course, I think I'm being sneaky, but she has done the exact same thing with me regarding sweeping the floor, cleaning the tub, dishes etc... start me off small, then I have no excuse to not do it. I'm not sure who pulled what over on who!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here