Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Texas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Texas!

Signed up a month or two ago and am learning a LOT. Been using a Weber Kettle, an SnS, Maverick 732 temp probes with MK4 instant-read, and so far have been really pleased with chicken (pieces and whole-bird), pork chops an tenderloin, and did my first ribs last Thursday. Doing my first reverse sear this evening and have a couple of questions that I haven't seen covered specifically on the site. I picked up a couple of choice filet mignons a few hours ago (they were sold out of primes) that are dry-brining now. One is about 2" thick, the other about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 " thick. My questions are:

1. Do you use a leave-in probe for the initial, indirect-side cooking, or just periodically check with an instant-read?
    2. How many coals do you like to start with? I usually can't keep the temps around 225 with more than about 15-20 KBB bricketts. Do you start there and just start a half to full chimney separately to add for the sear?

Thank you in advance. Planning to get started in 2-3 hours, so any advice is well appreciated!

Welcome to the Pit, Bruce! Answer to #1 is "yes" to the leave-in thermometer ... but keep the instant-read handy for validating what the instant-read is telling you. Answer to #2 will need to come from someone who uses or invented the SnS ( oh David Parrish ) ...

Comment

• Bruce R
      Bruce R commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Was thinking of placing the probe in the smaller cut, pulling and tenting it when it gets to target temp, then placing the probe in the larger piece.

Welcome to some great fun in the Pit!

Comment

More reverse sear information below, Welcome!!! Bruce R

​Click here for SNS steak information

Comment

• Bruce R
        Bruce R commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jerod.

Welcome to The Pit Bruce R. We're glad you're here and thank you for your support. You've got some nice equipment. We would love to see some photos of your cooks.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

• Bruce R
          Bruce R commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Definitely bitten by the obsession monster.

Welcome Bruce R

Comment

Welcome to the pit Bruce. I do not use my maverick when cooking steaks on my Weber with Slow n Sear. I have been sold on the reverse sear method and love it. I will usually use close to a full chimney. Time frame depends on the steaks you are cooking but I start on the indirect side with the MK4 handy. Once internal temp is about 110 I start my sear and bring temp to about 135. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ!

Comment

Howdy Bruce! I'm in Pearland, just south of Houston. Where are you?

Comment

• Bruce R
              Bruce R commented
              Editing a comment
              In Arlington. Have lived in Galveston, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

Welcome to The Pit Bruce R! We're glad you're here. Let me know if you have any SnS specific questions.

Comment

• Bruce R
              Bruce R commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks David. Will do

A belated welcome to The Pit Bruce R! Thanks for joining up with us.

Comment

• Bruce R
              Bruce R commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks Huskee

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here