Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone!

Hello! My name is Jonathan Doyle and I Live in Port Neches, Texas which is approximately 100 miles east of Houston and not far from the Texas/Louisiana border. I am a chemist by education and have worked in Chemical plants most of my career. I am 45 years old and have been grilling and barbecuing on wood burning pits for over twenty years and I still love to learn about how to be a better cook. I think serving food that people love to eat is one of the greatest joys in life and I love the entire process of cooking barbecue...who doesn't like to play with fire!

I have used offset cookers most of my life but bought a Primo XL here a while back and I truly love that thing. My wife bought me Meathead's cookbook for Father's Day ( Happy Father's Day to all), perhaps based on a few hints I put out there and I Have been reading it all day. It came with a 90 day trial to the Pitmasters Club so here I am trying it out! I did try the Big Bad Beef Rub and dry brining on a brisket last week and it was excellent. The rub was very similar to a rub I used to make except I added the salt to the rub and did not use sugar in my old rub. I was always taught it was best to avoid sugar in brisket rubs but the brisket turned out very nice so I think I will keep with the recipe....I might try adding a little Rosemary. The brisket I used was prime grade beef so I reckon that didn't hurt things either.... I'm happy to be here and have the opportunity to learn. Thanks

Greetings, Jonathan .... welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome man!!

I'm 2.5 hours north of you up 96.

I wouldn't say I hated Chemistry in college, it pretty much hated me.

Comment

• Jwdoyle70
        Jwdoyle70 commented
        Editing a comment
        So does that put you in the San Augustine / Center area?

Jwdoyle70 Welcome sir. I'm new here too. You will find that the pit people are awesome and there is all type of topics too. Plenty to absorb and learn. Happy cooking.

Comment

Welcome Jwdoyle70

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Just as you love your Primo, you will love the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit @AJwdoyle70. It's great to have you here. That's a nice table holding your Primo!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• Jwdoyle70
              Jwdoyle70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you on the suggestions and the table compliments. A friend and I made it one afternoon out of cedar 2x4s and cedar 4x4s for the leg posts. It has worked perfectly so far.

Very nice rig you've got there!

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Jwdoyle70! Great to have you here. We sure hope you'll stick around! The amount of sugar in the Big Bad Beef Rub is mostly to help with bark, as you've noticed there's little to no detectable sweetness in the finished flavor. It's my fav rub for beef so far, I use it on steaks too and occasionally on burgers. Rosemary and even thyme would be great additions for beef IMO. Maybe just sprinkle some of those on after the BBBR is on. Tip- for a spicy, almost Cajun grilled chicken, add BBBR to it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here