Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chicken thigh glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chicken thigh glaze

Howdy everyone! i'm Steve @ ynotsmoke in the heart of NJ, trying to bring some authentic bbq flavors to the area. After several attempts mostly from recipes on this site I have developed a few meals that i am confident enough to cook for others so I decided to join the Pitmaster's club. I don't think i'll regret it!

I am using a Lang smoker and had to make a couple of modifications to get it where i wanted it but I really enjoy the art of maintaining temperature and regulating smoke.

Today I am smoking chicken thighs. We don't generally care for sauces on our food but a nice glaze seems to be a good compromise. When doing ribs, after I wrap with brown sugar, butter and apple juice, I turn up the heat for a while and use what is left in the foil pack as a glaze for about another 15-30 min. I always use liquid under what I smoke.

Can anyone suggest a glaze for my chicken thighs? Time is tight for me because of work scheduling so you won't hear from me often but I do like to check the posts.

Thanks for getting me started and here's to a long and delicious future!

Welcome to the Pit ynotsmoke ...

Here's my all time favorite marinade & glaze for chicken thighs. I'm addicted to this stuff.

* cup hoisin sauce

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

* 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar

* 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar

* 2 teaspoons sesame oil

* 2 teaspoons white sugar

* 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce

* 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, sherry vinegar, sesame oil, 2 teaspoons sugar, hot sauce, white pepper, and black pepper in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Chef John has some awesome recipes. I have saved several of them myself. I will be trying the above recipe!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 ...

You won't regret it. I mix that marinade up in large quanities and keep it in my fridge most of the time. Scary Mary says I need rehab from that marinade.😳 Chef John is one of my favorite Chefs to follow.👍

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead, Damn that Do Sound Good! From Fargo ND, Dan

Welcome aboard ynotsmoke! You say you always use liquid under what you smoke, I assume that means you use a water pan under you meat, is that correct? I have a Lang 36 and I have been told that using a water pan under your meat is the way to go then I have heard that you don't need any liquid inside the Lang. I just tried a slab of ribs yesterday without the water or liquid in the smoker and got great results. I just cooked them on the grate for the full cook without wrapping them which was the first time that I have not wrapped my ribs and they turned out awesome, they did not dry out but the bark was great and not steamed off like it is when I wrap.

Comment

• ynotsmoke
      ynotsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Vandy,

I started out with gas grill and smoke packets so a water pan was a must. When I got my Lang, a 36" hybrid, I kept it. I had to raise the lower grate so I could fit a throw away aluminum pan under. I had them make a slightly narrower lower grate so I could pull it out to spritz or baste.

Welcome to the Pit, ynotsmoke! We're glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome aboard ynotsmoke !! Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

By popular demand (not request) the DW insists on regular servings of "chicken candy" a.k.a. huli-huli chicken:

Hawaiian huli-huli chicken is a hugely popular type of grilled chicken with a sweet teriyaki style barbecue sauce. Here's my take on the recipe.

I am required (not requested) to add an extra cup of pineapple juice and an extra 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack - "Truly a SWMBO?"

Yep ... but I don't tell HER that

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I've found that if she's in love with what you cook it's WAAYYY easier to get away with Mr FedEx/UPS visiting every week or two

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee - and here I thought that was something that only I thunk of ...

Welcome to The Pit ynotsmoke /Steve! Nice to have you here, thanks for joining up with us. As you can see, The Pit is a very helpful place with lots of talented and helpful members.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, ynotsmoke!

Simple glaze for chicken thighs: 2 parts cheap bottled BBQ sauce to 1 part cheap bottled Italian dressing. Trust me on this one.

Comment

Welcome aboard ynotsmoke. We're glad you're here. Do you have any photos of your chicken thighs you would post? See you around The Pit.

Comment

ynotsmoke, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! I am Glad You are Meeting the Professors!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

ynotsmoke ... You're killing man. I'm dying to know how your chicken thighs turned out. Got a picture?
                  Last edited by Breadhead; June 14, 2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here