Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbe from DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbe from DC

Been a carnivore since birth, a Scientist forever, a foodie for decades, and a smoker for 15 years. Started with a bullet/charcoal, am currently using an electric (Bradley) and have finally learned to make a decent brisket, smoked turkey, and working on pulled pork. Love the electric for the low-maintenance features, since I also make side dishes, bread, appetizers, and, oh yes, beer (working on wine). I like to do all at once, which of course complicates life. Spent 30 years in New Mexico, which means I like heat, especially chile (NOT chili!) and would love to make a sauce with some of that NM green or red flavor. I'd like to move up to a stick or Pellet smoker, if I could make it fit my lifestyle. Worried about getting enough smoke flavor with a Pellet burner, so I'd really appreciate suggestions and tips.

Welcome to the Pit! Our son lives nearby in Fairfax ...

Comment

Welcome DrSAK

Comment

Welcome! I used to live in Fredericksburg, don't let anyone tell you that you can't BBQ all year round.

Comment

Welcome, DrSAK from a bit west of you in Leesburg.

There are a bunch of pelleters here, including CandySueQ , who can definitely help with your decision making.

Comment

Welcome aboard DrSAK. We're glad you're here! See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! You will be able to explore those cooker options here.

Comment

DrSAK - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

It's great to have you here DrSAK and thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard DrSAK. Thanks for joining up with us! If you like the ease of electric compared to your old charcoal smoker, I can't picture a stickburner fitting your lifestyle...unless you went the route of the Karubecue (KBQ), it burns small logs but is still thermostatically controlled. Picture a hybrid of sorts between a stickburner and a pellet cooker in principle, you just have to load a small log every 30-45min.... Many folks in-the-know say it's the most perfect smoke flavor possible.

Comment

DrSAK, Welcome to The Pit! You have Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! BTW on Sat Afternoon, I was at RibFest @Fargo ND,and I visited with Craig Kroonblawd, [email protected] , a fellow member of The Pit Club, and Owner of Carolina Catering as he and one of his Assoc.'s were straightening up a Truck so they could load up and leave at Days End! Now to the important Stuff, on the back of the truck sat a Bradley Pellet Smoker (elect), Craig and I talked about it at some length! It belonged to the fellow straightening the truck but looked to be fairly New! Craig said it did a real good job of Smoking Butts room for 2-4? I didn't see it with an open Door but I would est its size as +- 2'Wx2'DX3'T! I would almost bet Max Good has done a review on the Bradley Pellet Smokers at the AR.com site on Equip and Reviews!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
                      Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 13, 2016, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Welcome, neighbor, from southern Fairfax County!

Comment

Welcome to the pit DrSAK, I cook with a Camp Chef DLX ( along with my Weber 22 and SnS ) I heard the same about the pellet cookers not giving enough smoke flavor, but have not found that to be the case. I did order a smoke tube and use it some times but really do not see a lot of difference. I really love my cooker and what it produces. I am a firm believer in the most important part of smoking is not just the cooker but your knowledge of how it works and using it properly. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome from Fairfax County!

Comment

I am now living in an apartment in Arlington, which doesn't allow wood, charcoal, pellets, or any flammable substance except gas. I have used an electric (Bradley) smoker for many years with increasing success, but I'd like to look at something that will up my game. Started with a Brinkmann Bullet, like, 15 years ago, in Northern New Mexico. You can smoke a Christmas Turkey on it, but you have to be up at 5AM (3AM if it has snowed). I'm over 60, so I don't do that anymore!! Suggestions?? I have the resources and interest to go fairly somewhat upscale, as long as the apartment management doesn't know too much :-D

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here